Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunshine13_gw

What Plants to Use For Moon Garden?

sunshine13
20 years ago

Can someone give me a list of plants that do well in my zone for a moon garden. I have not heard of this before untill I found this forum. It sounds so peaceful I want to try it. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• AuntieCelene
    20 years ago

Well, I see no one else is jumping in on this for you, but you'll want to choose plants that are silver or white, and some folks include black and blue as well. Some include those with moon associations, like moonflower or willow, and many include night-blooming/fragrant plants as well.

Good choices:
    Moonflowers
    Artemesias
    Dusty Miller (annual)
    White Cosmos (annual)
    White roses
    Night Blooming Phlox (annual)
    Phlox paniculata, white varieties
    Globe Thistle, Arctic Glow is white, but the blue is nice, too
    Eryngiums
    Brugmansias and Daturas (will need overwintered inside)
    Liatris-white
    Shasta Daisies
    Centratherum rubra v. alba (white Jupiter's beard)
    Valerian
    Vervain
    White Poppies (black peony-flowered ones look cool mixed in)
    Boltonia
    Bronze Fennel (lovely dark background for the flowers)
    White Lilies
    Scabiosa-blue or white
    Buddleia-white or blue
    Jasmine (will need to winter indoors)
    Achillea ptarmica, sneezewort
    Babies Breath
    Nicotiana "Only the Lonely"
    Echinacea "White Swan"
    Campanula, white or blue
    Dichondra "Silver Falls" (annual, this is the first year I've planted it)
    White dianthus, or the white picotee annual variety, Velvet n Lace
    Lychnis, white
    I like the idea of hanging baskets in my moon garden, as well as bird feeders, so I use double shepherd's hooks for them. I like the drapey look of long vines in the hanging baskets, and petunias and other heavily flowering annual plants in the baskets.

HTH,

Celene

• Beccina
    20 years ago

What a lovely idea for a garden. I think I will try one too and thanks for asking what plants to put in a moon garden. That list is wonderful. What an enchanting idea.

• fivemurfs
    20 years ago

You've gotten a great list from Aunti Celine! One more plant to consider...Tuberoses. These are show well at night and really put out a beautiful fragrance starting around sunset. Bulbs planted in spring bloom in July here in my Tennessee Zone 6 garden. I dig them up right after the first frost and store them under the house in the winter.

• josie_z6b
    20 years ago

Evening primroses (the stalk-growing kind, not the cup-shaped kind) are a pale shimmery yellow that look really good at night, especially near white.

Basic grape hyacinths glow in dim light. As a blue, that's pretty valuable. They're inexpensive, too, and if you put them in raised beds, you get to see them more, and the scent is up where you are.

White mophead hydrangeas will really make an impact in shade, and so will variegated-with-white hostas.

• MPH101
    20 years ago

Here's one that I doubt many have ever thought of.
    It is the White Top pitcher plant - Sarracenia leucophylla.
    Though a wetland full sun plant during the day, it is incredible in the moon. The Harvest Moon and again in Oct its at its best depending on location. Because the largest pitchers are produced during the late/ early summer autumn.
    When mature these insect eating plants produce some very impressive 3' tall pitchers that are illuminated in with moon light, almost like a light is inside the pitcher, a strong glow. The reason for this is that the plant lures moths to the glowing trap, they are a major part of the diet in late summer and fall. To prevent bug capture as it will cause the pitcher/leaf to not last long a piece of cotton can be placed inside the pitcher opening (though it will hamper the glow at night)

During the spring and early summer the traps are smaller and though still interesting in the moon glow, this time of year they are incredible. In the spring the pitchers may be smaller but the beautiful large deep red flower is another show on its own hanging upside formed like a umbrella.

These plants are hardy from USDA zone 5 through 9, and are found native to the gulf coast of the deep south in bogs.

Check these plants out, I promise after you have a few mature ones in your moon garden you will be very impressed.

Take care,

Mike
    St. Petersburg Florida

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES