Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tadeusz5

To all Wisc, members -Sandhill

tadeusz5
19 years ago

Today,Feb 26th, 2005 , flocks and flocks of Sandhill's overhead southwest Suburbs of Windy City, circling, flying Northwest towards the Badger State- where are they going to find food to eat?? the grounds/soil I presume is still frozen ?? there is probably ice around Necedah as well.

Global Warming- are the Whoopers are going to start flying next from Florida. What;s with these birds.

tadeusz in Orland Park,illinois.

Comments (12)

• lalalandz5b
    19 years ago

Is this the bird? If so, I look forward to seeing them!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    19 years ago

13 Sandhills were here around a temporary pond for 3 days last week. Apparently they headed northwest towards Jasper/Pulaski in nw Indiana and then on to Wisconsin.

• plant_nanny
    19 years ago

I live in Geneva, Il. on the Fox River,and saw many, many Canada geese over this past weekend. However, I didn't see any Sandhill Cranes, How disappointing for me!

• lynne_melb
    19 years ago

I just moved to Florida from Chicago suburb and I didn't know that sandhill cranes migrated. Some stay in Florida year round. I just saw mom, dad and 2 small babies walking in a residential area in Melbourne Florida

• tadeusz5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Lynn; if you get a chance watch CBS tonight at 8pm EST
    60 minutes for the Ultralight led flight of "Whooping Cranes" from Necedah,Wisc to Florida for the last 4 years.
    Check out the web site below for a wonderful journey , and the numerous people involved with the introduction of
    Whoopers (creating a second flyway ).

Here is a link that might be useful: Whooper Story

• wayne_5 zone 6a Central Indiana
    19 years ago

Thanks for the link, tadeusz.

• lynne_melb
    19 years ago

Thanks Tadeusz.

• annie4
    19 years ago

I live in So. Central Wi. and the sandhills showed up here last week.

• flowergirl70ks
    19 years ago

Did you all hear that some idiot here in Ks shot 2 Whoopers, he thought they were Sandhills. When we go to Wyo to visit kids, we pass by a great bird refuge at North Platte, Nebr. Sandhill cranes abound, the sight and noise are tremendous.

• kms4me
    19 years ago

Flowergirl,

Mistaken identity aside, why did the idiot think it was ok to shoot sandhill cranes? They are not game birds.

Kate

• tadeusz5
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Kate; The state of Kansas opened in 1993 a season for hunting Sandhill Cranes- thus the seven (7) hunters in Kansas last year who shot and killed 2 of the 3 Whoopers that morning not only tarnished the public image of "ethical hunters" and undermined the DNR reputation for wildlife stewardship, but caused great harm by reducing the population of adult Whoopers traversing from Canada(Wood Buffalo) to Texas by 3% percent. The other bad thing about this is it took "other" people to report the shootings ,after finding wounded Whoopers.- What are we teaching our illustrious "gun-slingers", "Humanity" going Backwards.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    - On March 15,2005 another one of the youngsters from the 2004 class of Whoopers who left Wisconsin last fall following the trike planes , and have stayed in Florida was
    found eaten by a bobcat. The remaining 12 youngsters from 2004 class should be starting thier 1200 mile journey back to Necedah anytime soon- this time they are on "their own", no one to lead and guide them, they might even wonder all over the Midwest Area, just like some who wondered off into Michigan, one who stayed in Illinos all year, it's nice hear their KREER- kREER overhead when they spiral, float and head North to the Northwoods of Wisconsin.

• kms4me
    19 years ago

Tadeus,

I had the wonderful fortune of living not too far from Horicon Marsh in WI. I vacation regularly on the Yellow Dog Plains in Michigan's UP, and I now live a hop, skip and a jump from Carlos Avery Wildlife area in MN. In all 3 places, experiencing the Sandhill cranes has been incredible. Even if you are not lucky enough to see them, the sound they make is unforgettable.

I've never heard that any of the cranes cause problems, that their numbers need to be thinned, or that they are good to eat. When you informed me that Kansas had an open season on them, I wondered "why?"

Though the information you provided saddens me, thanks for posting it.

Kate

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting