Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romando_gw

need help/suggestions for plants in IN

romando
17 years ago

Hi! I'm in California, zone 10a (!) so I need your input. Some friends of mine are moving in a couple of weeks to the St. Mary's College area of Indiana, and as part of a going away present, I'd like to give them a 'starter kit' of seeds for plants that will do well in their new zone. They'll be going from student housing with only a balcony, to a home with a very large yard. Suggestions, please?

Amanda 'romando'

Comments (6)

• Carol_Ann
    17 years ago

Hmmm... I love this idea. There are lots of annuals and perennials that they could grow from seed but by the time they get to IN, the time to sow many plants will be past. Many annuals sown in June won't flower until it's just about time for frost (first half of Oct.). Perennials would have to be nursed along a lot the first year and given more protection over the winter and wouldn't yield much in the way of reward this year. They might have luck with quick annuals like zinnias, marigolds, maybe cosmos, morning glories. Hollyhocks are a tough, traditional Hoosier plant that could get going this year and bloom next. And they're big enough to have impact fairly quickly once they get going -- might be nice in that large yard. Or, if they're into veggie gardening, give them some seed for fall crops of lettuce, broccoli, peas...

I hate to suggest seeds that they wouldn't be able to sow until next spring because the seed wouldn't be fresh by then.

Instead of all seeds, any chance of throwing in a gift certificate from a nursery in their area (I know, that might be hard to arrange from far away), or maybe some small hand tools that would be easy for them to pack (assuming they don't have many already)? A Midwest gardening book or two? They're going to find Indiana's climate a lot different than what they're used to in CA!

Great idea -- I'm sure they'll enjoy whatever you put together!

• ademink
    17 years ago

There are always Lowe's gift certificates! If they're going to the area by St. Mary of the Woods College, that would be Terre Haute, IN (used to live there). G-R-E-A-T soil - it's farmland (unless they're in a new subdivision). I think they'll have a great time gardening here! :)

I wish I could help you more with seed suggestions but what carol_ann said is true...tough time to be sowing seeds. You may be able to get away w/ daisy, coneflower and black eyed susan seeds (any rudebeckias)...they are tough as nails here and perennial so it will be an investment in their yard for the next year.

A good way to find out what grows here is to look at trade lists of people who live in Indiana. Click on mine and take a looksie! :) You can also browse for other Zone 5 folks and see what they are wanting and giving away.

Good luck!!!

• katielovesdogs
    17 years ago

Daylilies do extremely well here. You might want to get them some nice daylilies. They will bloom shortly after they move.

• momcat2000
    17 years ago

how about a 'joe-pye-weed'

• eks6426
    17 years ago

Is it the St. Mary's near Notre Dame (South Bend IN)? If yes, I live within walking distance of the campus. In fact, I taught my son to ride a bike in the St. Mary's parking lot.

I agree that most seeds planted in June will barely flower before frost here. It's also pretty hard to get seeds going in the hot dry summers we've been having lately. I like the idea of the gift certificate, but I would go with a local nursery. There's one just up the street from St. Mary's called Roseland Garden Center. They have very nice things and good staff that will help them. If you're interested I can get you the phone number.

• romando
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everybody for your responses!
    My friends are gone now : (
    They left yesterday, so are now en route to your neighborhood! I have their forwarding information; now I know that they will be living in is Mishawaka. Sounds like a Native American name; really cool! One of them will be a professor of Woman's studies/ Women in History (I believe) and the other will be taking care of their daughter. Y'all have huge houses out there! They showed me photos of their new home, and all I can say is I'M JEALOUS!!!!! My little 1,100 foot townhouse in California (packed with hubby and 3 kids) doesn't hold a candle...

Take care of them; they'll be missed!

amanda 'romando'

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!