Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ckahaly

Need help in space planning for family room - TV/fireplace dilemma

ckahaly
11 years ago
I would love your help in determining the right space planning for the family room of a house that we are about to move into. There is a fabulous stone fireplace, which we would like to use as the focal point of the room. The dilemma is: where should we put the TV and situate the sectional? Option 1: above the fireplace, but would the TV be too high?..and where does the cable box go? Option 2: on wall opposite the fireplace, but then not maximizing focal point. Any other options that I am not thinking of? The furniture in this picture is from the seller - we would have a sectional, instead of the current couch setup. Would love your input!

Comments (13)

• anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    I agree with Bobbi P. Place the tv on the opposite wall. Over the fireplace would be too high for the comfort of your neck. Nice house.
  • coleebird
    11 years ago
    U could move the mantel down and put the tv there. U don't need the cable box under or around it. U can hide the box. We have an"eye" under the tv it's very small. It's called an I R remote extender. From niles. Just point the remote and change channels. U can also get a smaller mantel and put it down closer to too of firebox.
  • PRO
    Gabberts Design Studio
    11 years ago
    Gorgeous room!! I am envious of your fireplace!! Question...what is on the wall opposite the fireplace? Can you post a picture of that side of the room? Thanks!!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    How about switching rooms? The dining furniture would look great in front of the fireplace and you could add host/hostess chairs for a spot to read in front of the fireplace. With the sectional and t v as part of the kitchen I bet you will get a lot more use of both spaces. With the additional bar stools there will be plenty of seating while you are routing for the Patriots!
    Sea Cliff Hideaway · More Info
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    I agree with posting the other wall opposite other fireplace, looking like this is where the previous owner had their TV ?
  • ckahaly
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much for your help, everyone!!! Gabberts - The wall opposite the fireplace has the TV right now - but we are going to have a sectional, not the couch/chairs in the picture. In the second picture that is posted, you can sort of see the setup. What do you think about having two spaces in the room.....a sectional facing the wall opposite the fireplace for a TV area. And two chairs facing the fireplace. Not sure if both areas would fit or be cramped.

Judyg - Interesting thought! The dining area probably wouldn't fit a whole couch area, but I love the idea of having a fireplace right in front of the dining table. So fab.
  • ckahaly
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Dytecture - yes, correct. Thanks for your perspective!
  • groveraxle
    11 years ago
    Perhaps a pop-up tv cabinet would work with your sectional.

living room · More Info
  • PRO
    Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
    11 years ago
    Don't put your TV over the fireplace - it takes away from your beautiful fireplace - go with the TV - Lift system. That makes it very easy to hide it when you are entertaining, but able to enjoy your TV everyday! Best solution for this type of set up. Here's the link to one of many suppliers of this product:
    http://www.cabinet-tronix.com/index.php
  • portpiro
    11 years ago
    If it were my room and I was having to work with a sectional. I would position the TV in between the two windows where the red sofa is now. It will probably extend out a little in front of both windows but on a low TV unit this shouldn't be a huge problem providing there is power there. Then I would put the L shaped sectional so that one side faces the TV and the other faces the fireplace. There looks to be ample room to have the sectional in the middle of the room so that you can walk around it. In this position everyone can see the TV and the fire at the same time.
  • Kim D
    11 years ago
    totally agree with portpiro, that was my thought once I saw both pics and the added bonus you can see the TV from the kitchen.
  • PRO
    Mike BROUSE fine art
    11 years ago
    I'm a painter, so of course when I see a fireplace mantle it screams to me " I need a nice painting". A space this large needs a statement piece....it's a beautiful spot and it looks like it could have a spot light on it to make it a real focul. Here are some images....many more where that came from. You can see more of my stuff on Houzz. Good luck!