Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_fashion

Need help to decorate mirrored walls

Jen Munoz
11 years ago
I have a living room and one wall is a mirror how can I use that wall with the mirror?

Comments (24)

• portpiro
    11 years ago
    Well you could put furniture against it. I don't think a mirrored wall precludes that. You could also hang something on it if you use those sticky backed hooks they advertise for rental properties to save drilling walls. I wouldn't want to try drilling it as that could be a disaster waiting to happen. You could also use stick on decals. There's a ton of those on Ebay including trees and motivational quotes if you're into that sort of thing.
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    Is the entire wall mirrored? If it were me, I would hang a curtain rod from the ceiling and do wall to wall, floor to ceiling curtains or drapes.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    I just hung a framed piece of art over a mirrored wall using a tension wire system from Arakawa. It looks awesome!
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    It's one wall covered in mirror. Yes a whole wall. The entrance of my doorway. If you look to the left you can more or less get an idea.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
    11 years ago
    A large folding screen would work wonders.
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Carolyn a holding screen? Never heard of that...
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I would appreciate more ideas please. I don't know what to do with the entrance that has a mirrored wall to the right of my entrance.
  • portpiro
    11 years ago
    Remove it.
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    11 years ago
    Or cover up half of the mirror.

High Rise Gallery · More Info
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    At portpiro I can't it's a rental.
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I really would like ideas on how to utilize that walk in a nice modern way.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    Contemporary Entry · More Info
    Furniture and a great chandelier.
  • PRO
    Monique Jacqueline Design
    11 years ago
    I would do exactly what judyg suggested, just dress it as if the mirror was a wall! Above the furniture pieces you could hang a bulky frame to look as though it was a hanging mirror. Have fun with it, since it cannot go away!
    Cheers!
    m.
  • PRO
    karen paul interiors
    11 years ago
    I've hung art on mirrored walls but I had the holes pre-drilled before the mirror installation. I am certain there are adhesive hangers available that will do the job. Go to your nearest hardware store and ask the question. Generally this sort of hardware is good for approximately 5 lbs which means you would use more than one hanger if your art is heavier. There is absolutely nothing nicer than a good piece of art "floating" on a mirrored wall. Don't know if you have room for furnishings on this wall, but everything you place on the mirror must have a good backing, otherwise the mirror will reflect what is there.
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Might be fun and interesting to place a demi-lune table in front of that mirror. Shape of the table would mimic the shape of the window in the front door. How far away is an electrical outlet? Could you perhaps put some kind of lamp and then add a very few accessories? Accessories and lamp style should complement the rest of your furnishings. If no outlet is available you could certainly work with some kind of candle arrangement - whether real candles or LED candles. You want to be sure that the size of the table is appropriate for the stretch of wall you are working with.

There are approximately a zillion choices available for demi-lune tables. I like the style in an entry because there are no corners to bump into on your way in or out the door, and besides - it's just a pretty shape.

Here's a google link for the demi lune tables - http://www.google.com/search?q=demi+lune+table&oq=demi+lune+table&sugexp=chrome,mod=10&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#q=demi+lune+table&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=TJ1nUPWYHoqxygHi-IFY&ved=0CEIQsxg&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=71f1599612bdb838&biw=1280&bih=709
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    At Elyns I appreciate so much your tip. I appreciate everyone's tips. The mirrored wall is the wall to my right once you walk in my house. So furniture I don't think I can put unless i put like a bench or something. Not sure. I thought of hanging like black and white photos (several of them) but how do I hang them without having to drill any holes. (Again its a rental). I will definitely look into the link.
    Any other suggestions please. Here's somewhat of an idea of the wall. That's the wall once you walk in my entrance. Thanks!
  • Linda Peterson
    11 years ago
    You sure could put a skinny long console along the wall, something like 72x14x34high or a demilune as was suggested. Then large art can be "leaned" on the console and great accessories will distract from the mirror. A flat weave or seagrass rug would add texture and warmth. In front of the sidelights window put a large urn with a live palm. I do love the suggestion of dytecture of covering half the mirror with the white trim and wainscot. But if you can't make major changes, work with it and decorate as if it was a painted wall. Warm up the space with rug, plant and furniture.
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    jen_fashion - How wide is the wall / mirror? It looks like there is a "frame" on the mirror - does that enclose the top and sides of the whole mirrored space?
  • michigammemom
    11 years ago
    Adding a dark grid as shown in the inspiration photo would make your mirrored wall more of a contemporary focal point.
    Eclectic Living Room · More Info
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Michigammemom-where can I find that?
  • Jen Munoz
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Michigammemom-where can I find that?
  • Elyn's Library
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Wow - Those are actually 48 separate mirrors hung on a black wall!

"added by Erika Ward - Erika Ward Interiors to Houzz Tour: Soho Loft Shows the Warm Side of Modern
    The mirrored wall was a DIY project that mimics the design of a loft window. After painting the wall black, she along with her husband hung 48 mirrors using a laser level and mirror mastic.'

You could probably mimic the look with black electrician's tape since it is black on both the outside and the sticky side of the tape (the sticky side is going to show because it is going on a mirror). It also is very easy to remove with very little residue and/or cleanup required, since you have said this is a rental. It would take some time, patience, a laser level and quite a few rolls of tape. Fortunately the tape isn't at all expensive and you can buy it in bulk at any Home Depot, Lowe's or hardware store.