Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
radek_gw

Sophmore Season

radek
13 years ago

Hi there, I posted a few times last year but not much. I plan to post more this year. I had some good and bad along my first growing season maybe some of you could help me out with some I had issues with. I live in Bergen County.

Plants that did well:

Butterfly Bush

Hollyhock

Snapdragons

Bells of Ireland

Morning Glory

Garden Phlox

Mexican Sunflower

Lambs Ear

Anahiem Hot Pepper

Genovis Basil

Italian Parsley

Eggplant Black Beauty

Radish Cherry Belle

Things I had problems with:

Alyssum: Grew very stringy and yellowing leaves that outgrew form center of plant.

Tomato: Thing grew to be huge, leaves turned yellow then I found this nasty green worm with white stuff hanging off it's back. I still have nightmares...

Blue Hosta: Gave it lots of shade but didn't grow very big.

Lettuce: Different kinds, they all grew few leaves and bolted very early.

Delphinium: Flowered once when it was only 1-2 ft tall then died.

Watermelon: Grew nice fruit but they cracked open and rotted.

Bearded Iris: Nothin, it just sits there for a year now. I have a few, I cut some down and seperated them out, left one with the leaves. I doubt I get flowers from any this year.

Butterfly Weed: Bought a bunch and they all died, don't see any coming back either. I'm going to try from seed this year.

Garlic: Rots everytime.

New plants i'm trying this year:

Lilac- Very very small, got it out of a box, planted it all alone in full sun.

Cosmos- Double Take and regular mix

Sweet Williams

Russian Sage

Moonflower(hanging pot)

Cardinal Flower

Blue bells

Thyme

Cumin

Purple Basil

Thanks for any replies.

Ray

Comments (4)

• JArnold
    13 years ago

Wow! Before you plant too much this season, check your drainage. Plants don't rot in dry soil. You are in Bergen County and probably have a soil heavy in clay. Clay does not allow good drainage. To create fertile soil, add top soil and organic matter. Use compost, grass clippings or peat moss.

• howelbama
    12 years ago

I know this is a late response but the green worm is a tomato horn worm(bad) and the white things were parasitic wasp cocoons (good) leave it if you see one like that again...if you see one w/o the white cocoons kill it promptly...

• Loretta NJ Z6
    12 years ago

Hostas grow a little bigger each year so that one is fine.
    Allysum is a fall plant for me. Plant it in spring when it is still cool and water them if they get too dry. As long as you keep it alive all summer, it will bloom nicely in the cooler weather. Mine like rock crevices and such.
    Delphinium - yup! That's delphinium. Most of mine do the same thing. I only had two that lasted a few seasons. Foxglove is easier but that one isn't long lived either and can be a biennial or short lived perennial. Penstemon, Adenophora last longer. Some don't like ladybells because they spread but I haven't found it hard to control.Deadhead them.
    Butterfly weed - my first attempt died too but now they reseed freely. They often bloom twice so they are very nice.
    Iris is slow. They can take years to bloom. Depends on what type they are. Some steadily decline and disappear. Some are ephemeral. Some grow into nice clumps.

• jerseygirl07603 z6NJ
    12 years ago

LOL - look for tomato hornworm this year before it does too much damage. you'll see small black droppings (poop)then look higher on plant and you'll spot it. If it doesn't have while thingys on its back, toss it on patio; a bird will be grateful.
    I would bet your iris is planted too deep. Lift in July , cut back leaves then, and re-set it in ground so that the rhizome is above soil.