Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdgardner_gw

Rutgers plant sale

birdgardner
18 years ago

"Spring Flower Fair - this very large sale includes annuals, heirloom vegetables, bamboo, ornamental grasses and plants that thrive in shade."

May 13 and 14 10am - 4pm 112 Ryder's Lane, New Brunswick, accessible from Rt 1 South

www.rutgersgardens.rutgers.edu for more info

Comments (11)

• JerseyJohn61
    18 years ago

Thanks for the heads up BG. It's just down the road from me.
    Might just see you there....JJ61

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

Thanks!

• sugar_magnolia
    18 years ago

i see they have witch hazel... any idea how big these plants are? good prices?

• Loretta NJ Z6
    18 years ago

No way to know ahead how big the plants are but usually their plants are a decent size. Prices are not bottom dollar but they won't be outrageous either.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Thanks for the post Birdgarner, I'm going to try to be there tomorrow.

Diane

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Wow! Went this afternoon and what a pleasant experience! Nice variety, pleasant and helpful staff, fair prices and a very nice layout - How nice to see the plants in the environment in which they'd likely be growing. Most of the other shoppers there seemed like nice folks too. Tried to keep my purchases down to a moderate excess, left one behind (paid for, but didn't make it out of the holding area) ... wondering if I dare return for it tomorrow ... do you really think I'll come back with *just* that one? Next time, I'll check what is acutally loaded against my invoice - busy as it was and with a couple of people loading, things can easily get overlooked.

Thanks for the alert, Birdgarner, I'll definitely try to attend the summer sale as well!

• birdgardner
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I got there around 10:30 and still had to creep in for half an hour to park - seems people start lining up early but I didn't see them running out of things.

I was disciplined - put a lot of stuff back, but I still got a fringetree for my mother - in bloom - the one I got for her from Wayside 12 years ago has NEVER bloomed. A red buckeye for the hummingbird. Singular intended. She is a spoiled hummingbird. And three small pots of half hardy this and that for combinations.

The site is gorgeous - walk behind the log cabin and you are on a bluff in a bend in the Raritan, the banks all wooded as the river curves, and you can imagine what it looked like long ago, except for the roaring of the highways. Maybe they should add a little art to nature and cut back trees for a better view.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

You're right, Birdgardner, a better view of the river would be nice. Returned today with one of my younger sons (16) and we both enjoyed it. Walking back to the veeeerrry distant parking lot we had to use, we detoured through a woodland garden ... then into and through the woods into a meadow ... spotted a fox, crossed a wooden bridge, then up the hill on the other side, past some critter's burrow to some rustic benches where we sat to admire the meadow, wildflowers and birds. All this only about ten minutes from downtown New Brunswick!

Must return to see some of the other gardens we missed; looks like they're preparing some kind of formal garden with a water feature in the center and possibly a potager in the fenced area beyond.

• Maria410
    17 years ago

I am one of the RU Garden Volunteers. The "formal" gardens are the display gardens which get planted over Memorial Day weekend. We then have an open house on July 29th when the gardens should be in bloom. We will have a smaller plant sale then as well. The back fenced garden is a primarily a vegetable garden where some of the volunteers have vegetable plots.

We have lots of plans for the gardens in the future including a children's garden and maybe one day a nice entrance into the garden that will make the plant sales flow better.

-- Maria

Here is a link that might be useful: Rutgers Gardens

• achang89
    17 years ago

Made the trip on Sunday. It was a good show/sale. There were a lot of people even on the second day. The plants are in excellent condition. The prices are in general in the same range as in local nurseries, but higher than in the big box stores.

I picked up two Bracken Brown Beauty Magnolias and some other shrubs that are hard to find.

• agardenstateof_mind
    17 years ago

Thank you for the clarification, Maria, and for the date of the Summer Open House and Plant Sale - it's on my calendar!

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH