Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mulchwoman

Rain, Rain Hooray!

mulchwoman
18 years ago

Hi

I don't know about anyone else, but we really haven't had a decent rain in probably more than a month. I am so happy to see it. I hope it rains gently all night too as the soil could use a good soaking.

Pat

Comments (10)

• jimcnj
    18 years ago

It is a nice farmer's rain today. Last week's microburst and hail storm did a number on some of my prized plants.

• mebarry117
    18 years ago

I'm north of you in Bergen County and haven't seen a drop. Please send some my way!

• njtea
    18 years ago

I agree! However, I could have told you this would happen as I spent a long time over the weekend carting buckets of water to newly planted trees and shrubs and moving hoses to water the gardens. It never fails to work!

• wardw
    18 years ago

All this rain is a little surprising considering the forecast this morning. Like NJTea I spent the weekend watering 7 flower gardens and the veggie garden, so I should have known. Rains a beautiful thing, especially on a Monday.

• cindy528
    18 years ago

I agree the rain is a beautiful thing since I don't remember seeing much at all in June. Of course I did the same thing as everyone else, watered half the day yesterday. But, I am glad to see the rain, tap water just isn't the same to the plants. I wouldn't mind seeing rain for the next 2 or 3 days.
    Cindy

• joolz
    18 years ago

I wore socks with sandals into the city, thereby clinching the certainty of rain.

YouÂre all very welcome!
    --Joolz (garden geek for sure)

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

Yes, it's always welcomed. Rhododendrons have just finished with their first burst of foliage growth (after flowering).

With all the large oaks on my property, I'll always err on the conservative side and water as I never know how much will make it down to the garden beds. Though there's an advantage to having that shade. Most of my plants (other than those planted last fall/this spring, or some of the more exposed plants (lacecap hydrangeas for example) can go without regular watering.

But when the perrenials on the sunny side of the property started showing the effects of no water, I knew we needed it badly.

Rained again last nite. I'll take them every 3-4 days like that.

• Annie_nj
    18 years ago

The rain waited for us to complete our camping trip in central PA. Although, as a gardener, I wouldn't have minded the rain. My family might have a different opinion. The gardens are looking lush, and my water barrels are full again! Like Cindy said, tap water isn't the same as rain.

• flowersandthings
    18 years ago

Now its too much rain right? Not to look a gift horse in the mouth.... drought sucks and so does having to water constantly but its getting tedious as per going to the beach and as per the garden EVEN! as well. Some things are starting to rot. And oooh my poor poppies! :) So tattered and soaked! Not to mention my "battered" lettuce. :)

• Birdsong72
    18 years ago

I had the day off (I live near the beach) & I just rescinded my time, and came into the office to get some work done. After all, with this humidity, all that one can do is be homebound. And I don't feel like creating anything culinary today.

I'm curious: Poppies should have long sinced been finished.

What's being beaten down by the rain in my garden are monarda. Everything else (hollyhock, chrysanthemum, coreopsis, echinecia, phlox, daylillies, etc) are holding up.

Then again, we didn't get anywhere near the amount of rain that the Jamesburg-Manville band got yesterday. That was some punch.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living