Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muddauber

New to this forum, want to say Hi!

muddauber
16 years ago

Hi everyone! While I've been a GW member awhile now, I'm just getting over here to the Ohio forum. Usually I'm over at the Conifer, Tree and Shrub forum, rarely posting but soaking up all the excellent info and advice.

Located in Southwest Ohio I own one of those big old hundred year old money pit fixer upper homes in a not so great neighborhood. I love it though. My projects have mostly been in the backyard, my goal is to create a "sanctuary". Our backyard is pretty good size about 60'x 50'. This season I've focused on the hardscape and widening my beds, added a brick paver path to the garage, a wrought iron fence around the pond area and am doing alot of rock work. Plant wise the focus is on adding conifers, evergreens and other stuff that doesn't just disappear in the winter months. I found a very cool Cham. obtusa "Lemon Twist" but two other types of Chameacyparis, Boulevard and Crippsi (Crispy LOL) didn't do well for me. Basically alot of grunt work now and alot of dreaming about future plants. Hey did any one else scoop on the Forest Pansy Redbud's they had for 10 bucks at Western Hills Home Depot?? ohhhlala

Just wanted to introduce myself, I'll be reading if not posting!

Linda

Comments (4)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    16 years ago

Hi Linda and welcome to the OV Forum.

Things seem a bit slow here, and I have had computer woes for some time, and was totally out for over a week until just last night. Woohoo!

I have thought many times of making a winter interest garden or bed and thought of including maybe some evergreens, red twig dogwood, gold twig dogwood, grasses, evergreen (blue/gray) dianthus, and I have a lovely low growing sedum that stays perfect throughout the winter months.

You mentioned several things that I'm not at all familiar with...will have to check them out.

Sue

• wish2okc
    16 years ago

Hi Linda! Wanted to add my welcome. I've been out of town and with no internet access for a couple of weeks. Hopefully things will pick up on this forum soon. Your evergreens sound lovely and you are doing things in the right order...hardscape first. Personally, I usually do it all backwards! Just can't wait to plant!

• wulfgar87
    16 years ago

Another person from the nasty naty?

Welcome,
    Are you new to the city or just the Ohio forum?

• muddauber
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Wulf...new to the Ohio Forum, lived in the nasty naty LOL all my life. One of these days I'm moving somewhere where I can putter around in the yard all year!!

Wishful, thanks for the welcome. I did it all backwards too, lack of money to do the expensive stuff and just things like making the beds too narrow, not dealing with small slope issues. Then I would buy perennials which no matter how much I spent never seemed to make an impact. Plus in the winter everything would die back to the ground. I have a hang up with planting LOL, especially trees and shrubs. It's hard to visualize how big they are going to get and how soon. So I'm afraid to commit to actually planting them, I just shuffle them around in pots until I have to! I'm working on getting better with that! Anyone else have that problem? And I know I can dig the stuff up and move it but it sure doesn't feel that way when I'm looking at an empty area.

Anyone have a Abies Koreana Silberlocke? I got a deal on one at Home Depot, it's beautiful, but I've been reading that it's not very tolerant of the heat and humidity.
    Linda

Sponsored