Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardengranny2_gw

June favorites (photo heavy)

gardengranny2
13 years ago

I usually post photos in the gallery. But, the gallery doesn't seem to get the traffic that used to frequent there. So, I hope there are no objections to the following snaps. Hope you enjoy the tour. Liz

There hasn't been anything worth posting from my gardens of late. Things have come and gone so quickly this year due to extremely unusual high temps and the high humidity which has accompanied the temps has not been appreciated by anything. What happened to spring this year?

But now, the gardens are in high summer form. They are lush and full. However, I don't expect they'll be here very long.

{{gwi:688326}}

{{gwi:688327}}

{{gwi:688328}}

{{gwi:688330}}

{{gwi:688332}}

{{gwi:688334}}

{{gwi:688338}}

{{gwi:688335}}

Please excuse the hose in the next shot. DH was at the bottom of the hill watering recently (early spring) planted rhodies.

{{gwi:688340}}

{{gwi:688342}}

The edge of the woods where last year we cleared out all of the poison ivy, virginia creeper, and a multitude of various weeds. We now have in this area an assortment of rhodies, azaleas and hostas, as well as this hydrangea which we transplanted from the area in front of which it is now located.

{{gwi:688345}}

{{gwi:688347}}

{{gwi:688347}}

Hope you all have a great summer!

Comments (13)

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I meant to post this in the Cottage Garden forum.
    Very sorry!

Liz

• corunum z6 CT
    13 years ago

Certainly no need to be sorry - I enjoyed looking at your lovely gardens.

Kindly,
    Jane

• WendyB 5A/MA
    13 years ago

me too. very nice. great color and texture.

• bill_ri_z6b
    13 years ago

Very nice! I really like the "amphitheater" look of that lower garden. Are they various sedums?

Have you considered any of the many hardy camellias to add to your edge-of-the-woodlands area? I have both spring and fall blooming types and they add a new dimension to New England gardening!

Bill

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Yeah, don't be sorry! Your garden is beautiful! What are those purple daylilies? Not the two-toned ones but the ones in front of them in the seventh picture? Actually, now that I think of it, can you tell me the name of the two-toned ones too, lol?

Gee, your yard is so neat-looking compared to mine. I can never seem to get everything organized and looking as put-together as your garden is. Thanks so much for sharing - even if it was by mistake, lol!

:)
    Dee

• gardengranny2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your kind responses. You have no idea the panic I experienced when I realized my error. Phew!!

For bill ri: Yes, those are 2 different types of sedum-
    kamtschaticum and spurium 'fuldaglut'. I am not familiar with hardy camellias, but will look into them as I am always looking for something new-especially late season beauties. Thanks for the heads up.

For Dee: Here are close ups of the daylilies you asked about

'Strutters Ball'

'Druids Chant'

Liz

• diggingthedirt
    13 years ago

Very nice! You should stop by here on the NE forum more often!

• concretenprimroses
    13 years ago

Wow! I loved seeing your pics. I might have to get the strutters daylily for my dh, if I can find one.
    TFS
    Kathy

• runktrun
    13 years ago

You have created lovely gardens. Like Bill I particularly love the amphitheater garden, the only thing that is missing is a podium for you to stand and lecture your plants to grow taller, bloom longer, and above all else keep those weeds from moving into the neighborhood.

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    13 years ago

Liz, thanks for the daylilies ID. Those are really gorgeous, especially the Strutter's Ball. I have seen that in catalogs, but it looks great in your garden. And they both go so well with that astilbe. Wow.

Thanks again for posting!
    :)
    Dee

• spedigrees z4VT
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful gardens! If only I could get my gardens to look like that! Thanks for the tour and for the closeups and ID of the purple daylilies.

Are the vibrant purple clumps loosestrife? (It's supposed to be invasive, but I cultivate clumps of it in front os my house anyways.)

The checkerboard pattern of squares of alternating colors of ground cover is a neat touch.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    13 years ago

Someone's been working very hard keeping everything growing and looking great! Thanks for sharing your photos, loved them!

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

I'll second the request that you stop by more often, either to post more photos or to join in the various conversations. I always love seeing photos of others' gardens and rarely remember to take photos of my own.