Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Show Us Your Landscape and Gardens - A Photo Thread March 2024

prairiemoon2 z6b MA
last month
last modified: last month

March 2023

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6357655/show-us-your-landscape-and-gardens-a-photo-thread-dec-2022-march-2023#n=11

I skipped a few months over the winter. I don't remember if we always do or not. But there has been so little activity here in the winters now, that I didn't think anyone would miss them. [g]

My garden seems to be starting reasonably early and not too early, but early enough that with the weather so unpredictable, I'm expecting a cold snap to come along and zap anything that grows in March and even in early April.

I've had Snowdrops blooming for a couple of weeks, which seems a little early to me. But just in the past 2 days I see crocus blooms open in some areas and just showing foliage in others. Mid March is usual for crocus for me, so it seems about on time. Also one tiny daffodil plant is blooming and I can't remember what variety it is. All the other daff foliage is showing in the back but not in the front yet. I haven't even started to clean up yet and I left more mess than usual in the Fall.

Comments (13)

• diggerdee zone 6 CT
    last month

Love your patch of snowdrops! Mine return, but really don't seem to be very vigorous. I need to plant more.

Crocuses are in bloom and I so love them. i have some scattered in my lawn and they bring me great pleasure when I see them. I added some more in the beds and in my daughter's garden and I will have to go back and see what I bought lol, because they are a pale yellow which to me is unusual (compared to the usual bright yellow I have) and I am really enjoying them.

A few daffs in bloom here, but most are in bud stage still.

My beds are pretty messy - I too left more than usual to clean up!

:)

Dee

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked diggerdee zone 6 CT
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    last month

Dee, I tried a number of different varieties of Galanthus and some of them disappeared quickly. The one that is spreading really well, I believe is the Galanthus nivalis, a small single. So you might want to try that one. Mine reseed a lot.

I love crocus but so do the rabbits. I see out there, they have already started eating the foliage. I do have a good patch every year under my front Maple that has the vinca groundcover. For some reason, the rabbits don't eat those.

Your daughter must be excited to see her spring garden that you have been working on.

I'm still out there pruning every day now, trying to finish up.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    last month

My crocus have been blooming for about a week, so where are you Barrhead? Are you North or South of Boston? Maine?

You have a lot of flowers on that Hellebore. While my crocus are blooming now and snowdrops are starting to go to seed, the Hellebores are pushing out some flowers but the foliage is still unfolding. Daffodil buds are filling in.

• Barrheadlass
    last month

Prairiemoon2, I am in southeastern MA…

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked Barrheadlass
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    last month

Okay, so you are a little ahead of me. In a couple of weeks, we all should be having lots to take photos of... 😀

• Barrheadlass
    last month

very true!

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    last month

I don't have any bulbs blooming just yet, but this is a good time for my hellebore. Well, it would be a good time if we weren't getting snow tomorrow. I give to you a plate of pretties, a flower from each plant currently in bloom. I have about 20+ more varieties in bud, so wish them luck! I'm thinking they'll make it through the snow OK!

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    last month

Thyme, LOVE your bowl of Hellebore flowers! You have a nice selection. I Love the yellow one. That's a pretty bowl too. They’re all so pretty and you have a lot!

You’re north of me and mine are just barely opening. And now with cold and snow on the ground, oh well, can’t wait for spring to be here for good.

• Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
    last month

PM2, When I see you next, I will bring you a hunk of the yellow one. It is actually my best grower and bulks up nicely each year. Do you need some of your ’Fire Island’ hosta too? I think you lost yours?

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked Thyme2dig NH Zone 5
  • prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    last month
    last modified: last month

Thyme, I would love a division of that yellow Hellebore! I'll have to find something to trade you for it. Actually I have two new Hellebores, that last year were new and looked new, so I'm waiting to see what they look like this year. One of them has variegated foliage which I hope will work out well in that bed. And I've found small Hellebore plants take forever to get any size in my garden, so I've started buying them in gallon pots now. So this variegated one should be big this year, I hope.

The 'Fire Island' Hosta....has it done well for you? It really didn't do that well here. And actually the rabbits are eating my Hostas if I don't cover them as soon as the leaves start unfolding. I don't know how it will go this year, now that we had the section of fence replaced that needed it. I would like to think they will stay out but I know that is wishful thinking. [g]

• deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
    26 days ago
    last modified: 26 days ago

Lovely photos! We have crocus out, that’s it. (Excpet I suppose snowdrops if I had any). I’m so impressed with how crocus multiply. Definitely worth the cost of the original bulbs. I’ll add some photos of the ice last weekend. I was at a friends house in New Hampshire. It was at a friend’s house in New Hampshire. It was a crystal winter Wonderland!

prairiemoon2 z6b MA thanked deanna in ME Barely zone 6a, more like 5b
  • Barrheadlass
    25 days ago

And the darn deer are already munching on my daylilies.