Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Could this hosta be June?

Went to a plant sale a couple of weeks ago. Had a look at the hostas. I choose this one because I thought it looked like it could be a very nice hosta and the leaves had substance. After a few days the smaller leaves opened up and I thought to myself "doesn't this look like June?" Do you think so too?

I do have June in my garden and I know that it can look very different in the sun or planted in the shade. But my June are planted in the shade and look more like the darker leaves on this hosta.

If you agree that this hosta is June, then had this hosta been for sale in the spring, it would have sold in a flash. Who cannot resist June in the spring?

Comments (11)

• User
    11 years ago

Really a nice looking hosta there. My June is grown in mostly shade too, and the new slim leaves look like my June new growth. The two smallest leaves at the 6 o'clock spot in the cup could be any number of things, but as always the gold middles with darkish green margins and streaking are favorites.

You have a good eye.

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The sale was put on by a group of Master Gardeners. Paid only $4. It may be that there is more than one variety in this pot? Should be fun to see what develops. I think I will just repot into something a bit larger and maybe divide next year. I really love the dark green margins and light centers too. So that is my "mystery" hosta.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

the big leaves are shiny.. thats not proper for june.. but that is overhead watering in heat ... not uncommon this time of year ...

but can you tell on those smaller ones.. if the glaucous coating is there.. i cant tell from the pic ...

if so.. it probably is june ..

and.. was it cut from a mature clump if so.. we should know that is pretty much proper leaf size ... which is proper for june..

though the petioles are very long.. not like june.. but that is probably the shade thing ...

best guess: yeah probably ... but we will know better late next spring.. when we see it more normal ... though that size plant in that size CUP!!! .. is going to mean a year or two of root growing.. before it starts to mature ..

ken

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken for helping me figure out this hosta. Appreciate your comments. I don't think the photography was up to paar, but I am still learning how to take a good hosta photo (please be patient with me). I think the size of the pot is bigger than it appeared to look in the photo. I thought I had done good in my choice of hosta. But then I see your posting "root mass" and it hit me that there was a very important thing I forgot to do when purchasing a plant---look at the root ball! I had read it on a previous thread and thought "that makes sense." The root system is the foundation of the plant and is very important, just like you were saying. So a division with few roots would not be a good plant. Better to have a smaller plant with more roots. Right? This picture is the possible "June" plant I purchased. Root system doesn't look too bad, don't you think?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

yes.. that pot was much bigger than it looked...

it will be fine next year.. you picked well ... goodly???

i would knock off most of the peat.. mix it well into the soil.. and plant that baby.. ROOTS DOWN .. lol ...

after it buds out next spring.. ID should be pretty easy.. its probably june ...

ken

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken for replying!
    Advice and support from those with more experience is invaluable to a newbie like me. Really.

Original Author
    11 years ago

So I got around to repotting this hosta. I would say that the division was made in a hurry because I see that a crown or two were cut into (like a shovel was used for division). There wasn't enough soil around the mass of roots on the bottom of the pot. Also found one worm and one slug. My conclusion: must serious look in the pot when purchasing from plant sales and repotting is highly recommended. Would love to show you a picture but unfortunately my memory card is acting up.

• hostaLes
    11 years ago

I once heard a story about a man who couldn't raise chickens. He kept buying chicks and they kept dieing. Finally he sent a letter to his local agricultural extension and presented his problem. They replied, asking him what he was doing. His reply was "I'm doing what I always do with farm stuff. I plant them 2 feet down with their 2 feet apart!"

I am not making fun of you newhostalady: I just threw a pun-dart at myself. Like ken always says, hostas will grow if you throw them on your driveway. I find myself obsessing over the "perfect and foolproof" way to grow hostas. But don't do it like chickens. 2 feet apart is fine but 2 feet down invites crown rot. LOL

The worm is also fine but the slug? Grow some chickens and they will eat every slug in your hosta bed while cultivating the soil doing it.

It looks like June to me, but after my chicken story I wouldn't take me too seriously if I were you!

Les

Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Les. I guess I am just taking this all too seriously? I don't mind you saying whatever you like---I did not take offense. I love to hear others' comments (positive or negative).

And the chickens. . . I'll have to think about that!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Just read this in www.guardian.co.uk:

"Keep chickens - Small, feathery-footed bantams do little damage to the garden, and eat countless slugs. Ducks are even better."

So now I will think about ducks! (only joking, of course)

• User
    11 years ago

Hmmmm, just watch out if any of those bantams are roosters. They are some of the fight-ing-ist little things around. I love the poulets which are hand raised, like my Black Star chicks--all girls--ate every bug in sight. Never had a duck, but I've heard their eggs are pretty strong flavored. Any critter that loves to eat slugs and snails is alright by me.