Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lestie_gw

snow-in-summer help

Lestie
10 years ago

Hi there!

This is my first post... so please let me know if I'm not posting in the right forum :)

After googling a million word-variations, I thought I'd try to post in a gardening forum for some help... I tend to come accross gardenweb.com when researching my perennials, so this seemed like a good place :)

I planted my first perennial garden(s) this year - they are a work-in-progress! One in the front yard, one in the back. I have some salvias, lupines, bleeding hearts, black-eyed susans, phlox, snow-in-summers, a lilac bush... it's a lot!

My question is about my snow-in-summers... They are growing nicely, and starting to sprawl out quite a bit, but they're not flowering all that much. I have seen some around town that are in full bloom, and I was assuming that since I just planted this year, I would have to wait a little longer or not get the full benefit since they were just planted about 5-6 weeks ago.

However... I'm a little more concerned because the stems, below all of the bushy-ness, seem pretty yellow. I'm not sure, but it doesn't look natural.

I have a fear that I may have overfertilized them after planting - here is a quick timline. Transplanted. 1 week goes by. Fertilized, then the next day was unexpectedtly hot/sunny for May in New England, and by that night they were totally wilted, I watered immediately, and a lot, and they bounced back enough... but now the stems are still that yellow color and I'm concerned :(

Any thoughts or advice on saving them? Will they be fine? Or are they probably toast now?

Comments (3)