Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantermunn

Potluck whith Plant s. Chime In

plantermunn
15 years ago

The official who can make it when thread?

Comments (53)

• Macmex
    15 years ago

I'd love to take Jerreth to this. Our lives are very hectic though. We'll have to see. I know for a fact that we are busy May 2 & 10-16.

George

• very_blessed_mom
    15 years ago

I'd like to come too. April is probably better than May for me also, but if a date is set soon I'll do my best to plan around it :) -- hopefully I can arrange a babysitter too. I would just love to meet all of you like Dawn said and put faces with names.

Jill

• seedmama
    15 years ago

I'm interested. I'm stretched thinner than usual right now so I'm afraid I might not check in often enough. If you haven't heard from me once plans are finalized, it would mean a lot to me if someone would zip me a quick email reminding me to come read the details. I'll bet soonergrandmom would help me out that way?

• okiegarden
    15 years ago

May - I might be able to come - to much with the big drama in April but early May, or the last Sat in April (it is on a Sat right?) Where at?

• lovetotweet
    15 years ago

I'd love to come, but I've got a thesis to write these next few months, so I don't know if I can make it or not. Still, if it works with my schedule it would be wonderful to meet all of you in person! Where would we meet?

Ada

• oklibrarian
    15 years ago

This far out my schedule is pretty flexible, so count me in. I'd love to meet some of you nice and helpful folks F2F!

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will Rogers park at the castle.

Saturday would be best for most.

The Castle was easy for everyone to find it's fenced off and it also has bathrooms and grills.It is cheep too $70 we will pass the hat. I think that was for 4 hours . We called them they said we need to make the arrangements the week of the event.

You may not need a baby sitter. Some people brought there kids and they all had fun. There is a swing set with in view.

The swap was always fun. I have lots of nice plants from there. My favorites are the bronze fennel.I got that from Lynn. I traded seeds from that this year for Spilanthes aka the tooth ache plant aka Peek A Boo plant. I may be able to share a few seeds.
    Then there is a yellow day lily. It is huge it grows in a dirty gassy patch in front of some cedar trees. It almost glows. Then there is a powder blue day lily It only gets ten inches tall . I don't remember who brought them.

Here is a link that might be useful: The park

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

Erm... not to sound silly.. but I've not lived in Oklahoma but for five years and I'm not familiar with the park mentioned... where is it? I'm betting DH would know. He's born and bred Okie. And we're looking at a Saturday? Hmmm...

Kathy

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

seedmama - I will keep you posted.

• seedmama
    15 years ago

soonergrandmom, thanks!

kathy, I'm assuming they mean the Will Rogers Garden Exhibition Center. They have classes that are well thought of and always fully booked. Register early!

Here is a link that might be useful: Will Roger Garden Exhibition Center

• hank1949
    15 years ago

I've been to Will Rogers Garden Center for meetings before but have not heard of the Castle. Where is it?

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The castle is at NW 30th and Portland.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

So, do we have any proposed dates and times, yet? I'm sure DH can find it :) I just need to get a date in mind because we're going to be taking our belated Honeymoon/ first anniversary trip in April. We're looking at the week following Easter (April 14) and thinking about going to Hawaii.

I'd love to go and meet everyone and perhaps share a few of the plants and cuttings I've manage to get going and enjoy a potluck! Just need to have some dates and times to work with. DH is a Rural Postal Carrier and works on Saturdays, but is often home around 3pm. Or, with enough notice, we could arrange for him to take a vacation day.

Will keep checking for updates :)

Kathy

• mulberryknob
    15 years ago

I live so far east in Ok that I know little about central Ok so for me, please, which city are we talking about? OKC? I don't remember a Will Rogers Park in Tulsa.

I would like to come if possible. Have relatives in OKC who might know more about your location and could give directions.

• laura_lea60
    15 years ago

I would love to come. Will bring munchies and whatever I have to share!

• annbb
    15 years ago

Will Rogers Park is in Oklahoma City. I am new in town and would love to come, don't have much to swap yet though. But I would like to meet you fellow gardeners. April would be a good time for me.
    Ann

• okiegarden
    15 years ago

OKC? Now that I think I can do if it is after Easter... to much going on around Easter with all the extra services we have to put on.

• very_blessed_mom
    15 years ago

I was just thinking about this and wondering where we're at datewise? I know it's still very early and there isn't going to be one date that will work for everyone : ( -- I don't mean to be pushy, I'm just one of those "planner" types who like all my ducks in a row as far ahead as I can see and I'm really hoping it works out for me to attend.

Jill

• sred98
    15 years ago

Hi all! I'm a new oldie-LOL! Was on here several years ago, and have just managed to find my way back. I'd love to go to a meetup. I am not familar with OKC, though. Is there a place for kids to play? I don't have family here to watch them while I go to anything.

Just a reminder that April 18th is the Sand Springs Herb Fair and the Jenks one is April 25th.

Shelly

• mrsfrodo
    15 years ago

Bump.

Plantermunn: Money was collected at the last swap to go towards the pavillon rental. Contact me and I'll make sure you get it in time for the swap.

• jaleeisa
    15 years ago

So... have we settled on a date yet? If it's on a Saturday, I'm hoping folks will still be there through the afternoon. DH is a rural postal carrier and will have to work his route before we could go :) He has to do all the driving because they're not letting me because of all the medication I'm on and I'm not real sure that's going to change much between now and then. And is it reasonably handicap accessible? I'm still having trouble walking distances right now and they're determining if I'll need surgery. I REALLY want to be there, but I'll need to make plans for that to happen and me still be able to enjoy it and be reasonably comfortable.

This sounds like it's going to be so much fun!

Kathy

• lifesblessings
    15 years ago

I need handicap accessible too.. would really love to come. Will bring plants that naturalize well, I'm not sure I have anything else. Let me know when we have a time and date. Thank you

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

I wanna go :)) Sooooo much fun!!! Can't wait to meet everyone!!

Courtney

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How about Aplil 18. The week after Easter.

There is a parking space close to the gate and I can bring along a couple of sheets of plywood to make it accessible. I think the doors on the restrooms are small though. The place was built in the ninteenthirtys.There are more modern parts of the park too.

The park is on Portland and nw 36 st in Oklahoma city.

I put Will rogers Park and oklahoma city in map quest then soom out a bit. Is the castle on Pat Murphy Drive??

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Terrance,

The date sounds fine to me.

Dawn

• devilwoman
    15 years ago

What sort of plants would I need to bring? I'd love to meet you all. I don't own a car, but I can probably find someone else who'd like to go to take me. Will Rogers is not terribly far from my house. In my younger years I worked just up the street and frequently went to the park for lunch.

Debra

• laura_lea60
    15 years ago

April 18 is good for me!

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Debra,

You can bring anything you want.....seedlings, cuttings, seeds, etc. Or, just bring yourself.

The IMPORTANT thing is for everyone who wants to come to just be there! The plants and seeds for swapping just give us an excuse to get together, meet one another, renew old friendships, and eat, eat, eat. Everyone brings a covered dish, or maybe---say, if you are coming a long way, something easy like canned or bottled drinks, or a dessert from a bakery if you don't cook or even door prizes. And, door prizes can be simple things....a plant, a nice flower pot, hand tools, seeds, etc.

Once again, the important thing is that you come and hang out with everyone. If you are new to gardening, or new to gardening in your current residence, you may not have anything to share yet, and that's OK. The odds are that those who do bring plants will bring way too many and that makes up for those who don't have anything to bring yet. : )

Plantermunn,

THANK YOU for organizing the plant swap and getting us all fired up and enthusiastic about it. I'm going to bring myself, my spouse, some extra tomato plants, some assorted perennial or re-seeding annual flowers, and maybe a few other plants. I'll also bring 3 or 4 door prizes.

Does anyone have leftover name tags from a previous swap? If not, let me know, and I'll bring some.

Dawn

• Lynn
    15 years ago

I can do the name tags....I think I've done them every time since swaps started. :) I do have some leftovers and new tags already.

April 18th it is! Now we can start planning!

It's been far too long since we had a swap. Now I can start gathering cutting and saving extras for everyone. I'll never forget that first swap I went to. I had the car trunk STUFFED with little pots full of plants! LOL

And to repeat what Dawn said, don't worry if you don't have plants just bring yourself and have fun!

And watch out for plantermunn...he always has his camera!

Pic from plant swap 2007

• Macmex
    15 years ago

I/we might make it on the 18th. That's probably as good as we can pick during this very hectic year. Will let you folks know if we really can.

George

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

April 18th!!

It has been way too long!

Thank you Terrence, for suggesting, organizing and motivating us to get together again!!

Courtney

• jlhart76
    15 years ago

I'd like to come, but I'll probably be one of those who don't have any plants (this whole new to gardening thing, you know?).

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

J.,

It doesn't matter if you don't have any plants. No one is going to be mad, no one is going to care, no one is going to hold it against you!!!!!! I guarantee you that the folks who do have extra plants and seeds to bring will have more than enough for everyone.

Even though it is always fun to bring home new plants and seeds, I'd come home happy even if I came home empty-handed. Remember that the plant and seed swap is just an excuse for all of us to get together, renew old friendships, make new friends, and have "faces" to put with the online "names" we know so well. The food is always delicious, and the plants/seeds are just a "bonus".

Notice that Plantermunn described it as a potluck meal with plants, which is just what it is. More than that, though, it is a time of fun and fellowship--with or without plants or food.

I hope that NOBODY decides they won't come to the gathering because they don't have plants to bring. Trust me, in an odd sort of way, the plants are the least important part of the day--they are just the "excuse" for all of us to travel from our varied locations and hang out together for a few hours.

Dawn

• bizydiggin
    15 years ago

Just a note to those who won't have plants... Neither will I! :))

Six months after moving to OK from San Diego, I went to a swap, and Susan, and Terrence, and Mrsfrodo, her husband, windsurfgirl, and everyone else who's names escape me, sent me home with so many plants, my husband thought that I had robbed a nursery!!

In fact the only plant that I brought to the swap was literally a weed that Susan was looking for becasue it was a host plant for one of her Caterpillars. It may not have been the correct weed either! But since I had so many.... :)))

BTW - the coreopsis, Vinca Major, Sedum, Iris, Balloon Flowers, and Fennel that I took home that day are all planted in a special bed next to my patio. It's become my little friendship garden, and everytime I'm out there watching BST cats on the Fennel, I think of Susan, not because she gave me the plants, but because she showed me a new dimension of gardening. I'm watching for the Iris's to bloom, and I think of windsurfgirl. My son went crazy for the Balloon Flower, just like mrsfrodo said he would.

I tell you all this only to encourage everyone to come, and enjoy the company of friends, the kind that know more about dirt and plants that any of our so-called normal friends do!!

Courtney

• njdjs
    15 years ago

I would love to come and meet ya'll. I bet I would get along great with plantermunn since I too am a big picture taker. Please keep me updated on the date and time so I can plan it.I hope by then I will have some goodies. Can we bring any kind of plants. Like houseplants too? Can't wait.

• indian_blanket
    15 years ago

Hey.... I always have winter-sown stuff that I was way too enthusiastic about and have no place to put. Those are my best swappable things. By mid-April, it's all in the ground or would be too old to swap, though. For swapping, are we talking about things that need dividing or that you've saved in a greenhouse for the occasion or what? Ideas, please? I wanna bring something, but don't know what it would be. Can the wife attend? She doesn't garden.

IB

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

You can bring your wife. I always bring mine.

Trading don't really work most gardeners have a lot of stuff as you probably do. So you may have every thing the other person has already. But you may have the one thing they want or vice versa.

You can bring about any plant you want. The newer gardeners will try about anything. Even if it doesnÂt make a crop they can practice keeping it alive.

Not every plant finds a new home so don't bring too much of one thing.

My first year I brought some pineapple mint. No one was impressed. One Lady even made fun of me on another forum. Seems like it grows like weeds in most places.

If you want a houseplant post your interest. Someone may find a start.

We usually end up with a lot of Aloe Vera. Then there a few that swaps other types of aloe. I have a few pups this year. One new NOID.

What type of houseplants do you like? People who do well with them have to cull on occasion and are happy to give a start to someone that would like to try to grow one.

• shankins123
    15 years ago

AAAH...I've definitely been out of pocket over the last few months...but I'm alive and well! I just got back on here and find it's just in time...I will be there, and just might bring my daughter, too. She (of my two daughters) definitely has the gardening "bug"...and insisted she and I plant potatoes this year. We dug for "buried treasure" for many years; it's been a while, but we're hopeful for this year :) I don't really have cuttings or plants to bring, but I'll come up with something for a door prize. Is there a list of food categories to bring (and sign up under), or how do you all handle that? I have that it's on the 18th of April, at Will Rogers Castle...what time? anything else I don't know?
    Looking forward to it!

• keenerkec
    15 years ago

April 18 is good for me. I can't wait to come. Do we start at any specific time? I'm really looking forward to meeting everyone.

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I started another thread for food and what not.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potluck with Plants Food and Accessories

• devilwoman
    15 years ago

I've been trying to talk to some friends/family/co-workers into coming who don't currently post here. Once they meet you guys and find out what a wonderful resource this forum is for gardening I'm sure that will change.

For anyone who has excess veggie plants, of probably any sort providing they can grow in southwestern Oklahoma, I know a young lady who will likely take them. Let me explain. I work for the Center for American Indian Health Research at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center. One of our current projects is designed to help modify behavior in the Indian community, specifically in terms of diet and exercise, with the goal in mind to help reduce both obesity and diabetes which have been epidemic among Indians for many years. A young grad student working on this project decided last year to start a coummity garden in Anadarko and plans to do it again this year. Gardening is a new endeavor for her so she is learning as she goes. They have land donated for the use of the garden and some donated seeds. I've already promised her any plants I sprout and don't kill before time to plant them beyond what I will have room for in my garden. I'm sure she'd be happy to take about anything anyone has too much of. I've already mentioned the meet to her, and she seemed quite interested.

I've also got two sisters and one other co-worker I've mentioned the meet to who seem interested in going. I'm sure once they all discover just how much valuable information can be had from this forum and how helpful and nice everyone is here we will get some new members!

Debra

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

To meet and greet the people from the forum and the potluck are the primary mission.

( I've been trying to talk to some friends/family/co-workers into coming who don't currently post here.

I've also got two sisters and one other co-worker I've mentioned the meet to who seem interested in going.)

We do want a lot of people. But our space is finite. In the past we have had by my guess about 30 to 40 people show up. We may be able to double that.

A carload of friendÂs family and coworkers we can handle but a busload would get out of hand.

So every one must use there best judgment as to how many people to bring. Bring family and friends. Maby we could draw the line at friendly coworkers. LOL

• okiegarden
    15 years ago

April 18th - I am going to really try to be there - cannot wait to meet you all, and hopefully I can find something round here someone might want in trade... I left most of my plants in TX with garden friends and am starting over more less new - exciting and a huge project at the same time.

• lovetotweet
    15 years ago

Ouch! April 18th is also the date of the Sand Springs Herb Festival, which I committed to go to since last year! This is a bummer!!! But, I don't think I can make it to both places. :-( Guess I'll have to wait until next year to meet y'all in person...

Ada

• njdjs
    15 years ago

plantermunn can you give me the phyical address to where we are going to meet. I have a GPS so I should be able to find it. I hope. I have no idea of anything in OKC. So I am lost right now before I even start.

• jlhart76
    15 years ago

Aw, shoot! I should've checked my calendar earlier. I have another commitment that day. Figures. Maybe next time.

• plantermunn
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will Rogers Horticultural Gardens
    3400 NW 36th St
    Oklahoma City, OK 73112

This adress is to the North East corner of the park. You can drive past it to Pat Murphy drive. Past the duck pond it will leed you to the south pavilion.

The bottom picture in the link is the south pavilion.

If you put this adress in map quest it will give a map.

Here is a link that might be useful: South pavalion

• njdjs
    15 years ago

Thanks plantermunn that will be a huge help. See you on the 18th

• OklaMoni
    15 years ago

Well, I finally clicked on this thread. Since I am not to much of a pot luck person (eat to much of what I should not, cause it is available) I hadn't till now.

I also checked my ever so busy calendar, and so far, it was free for that day. But, usually on Saturdays we go on long bicycle rides...

Now, if my daughter doesn't have her baby early (due date May 1) I will be there. So far, I have refrained from promising anything because of baby, but I guess, I'll plan on this one.... just in case.

Moni... looking forward to putting faces with the names!

• indian_blanket
    15 years ago

Hey! I have an idea! I have lotsa gardening magazines, various titles, ( Birds and Blooms, Horticulture, etc.) that I could bring. Anybody else have mags to swap? I love to read 'em but am tired of the same old ones. That would make me happy :) IB