Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
javaandjazz

Hudson Valley NY home and garden tours?

Richard Dollard
11 years ago

I just posted on the Hudson Valley board and then noticed there is hardly any activity there so I am going to ask here figuring maybe some of you have been out that way. We are thinking about taking a drive out to the Hudson Valley saturday and were wondering if there are any homes or garden tours around. We have been to the Vanderbilt mansion in Hyde Park and Lyndhurst Castle. What about Kykuit? Any other homes open for tours? I didn't see any Open Garden tours for this saturday yet. Besides the homes is there anything else we shouldn't miss? Thanks, Richie

Comments (10)

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    11 years ago

Kykuit is well worth seeing. They run a couple of different tours with different emphasis. I don't think they still do the first tour we did when it first opened, so I won't give tour advice. However, tours do sell out, so keep an eye on that.

From south to north, east side of river. I'm a bit vague on the order in Westchester, since I live in northern Dutchess.

Bronx
    Wave Hill

Westchester and Putnam
    Kykuit
    Sunnyside
    Philipsburg Manor
    Van Cortland Manor
    Lyndhurst
    Boscobel

Dutchess Co.
    Samuel Morse Estate
    Home of FDR
    Vanderbilt Mansion
    Mills Mansion
    Wilderstein
    Montgomery Place

Columbia Co.
    Clermont
    Olana

• claireplymouth z6b coastal MA
    11 years ago

Not a home or a garden, but there's a new pedestrian bridge walkway over the Hudson, open in 2009 I think. I've never been there, but would certainly visit it if I still lived in NYC. It depends on how you feel about rivers and boats (and many pedestrians and bicyclists), but there's something thrilling about looking up and down a river rather than just across it. A very different perspective.

It may be too far north for you, it's near Poughkeepsie.

Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park

Walkway Over The Hudson

Claire

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, we did that walkway about a month ago and I was freaked out by it. I can't take heights anymore and don't know why. I walked out just about to the shoreline below and could not go any further.

• Richard Dollard
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We decided on Kykuit and I took your advice and bought the tix for the grand tour ahead of time. I'm glad you said to do that because the morning tour was sold out and there were only 3 tix left for the afternoon tour. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!

11 years ago

Happy it worked out for you :-)

• ginny12
    11 years ago

The Hudson River Valley has one of the greatest collections of historic homes and beautiful gardens in the US. Perhaps only Philadelphia and the Delaware Valley can come close--and they don't have the Hudson River that inspired America's first great art movement. A month there would not be enough. Mad_Gallica gave a good list and there are some excellent books on the subject.

But Kykuit would be my first recommendation for someone with limited time. Boscobel, Montgomery Place (if open), Stonecrop Gardens...just a few.

It's so near that any New England garden lover should plan to visit. Lots of great restaurants, shops etc too if that's your thing.

11 years ago

Montgomery Place does seem to be open. The grounds are unquestionably open, and the house seems to be doing regular tours. I spent the afternoon there today. The gardens need quite a bit of help, but are still there.

• arknewbie
    11 years ago

I hope to make a trip to the Hudson Valley in the spring. So far, I plan to include Boscobel and Lyndhurst. What would be the best time to visit the gardens?

• ginny12
    11 years ago

Mid-June is good. It's quite cold in the Hudson River Valley and takes a bit of time for gardens to get going. I have been at this time and all was glorious.

11 years ago

It depends on what you want to see, what time is best. Most gardens are designed to put on a show any time between late May to first frost. There are a couple, like Stonecrop that have large spring bulb plantings that are worth seeing earlier.