Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anuparaj_gw

Mulching Bulb Beds

anuparaj
14 years ago

Hi

I have a question regarding which mulch to use on beds in the autumn and over winter.

I have a few bags of bark mulch left over from summer. I used these on some naked flower beds ( no plantings) to keep the weeds off..

So here is my question, I just put in some tulip bulbs.

Can I/Should I mulch the bed with bark mulch or should I use Gardner & Bloome Soil Building compost. I have a few bags of that left over too. I was hoping to use it in spring/summer 2010.

Does it make sense to use good compost in winter? Any pro/cons I should be aware off.

Will the Bark much make the ground water logged? I live in the Puget Sound (i.e Pacific North West) so we have plenty of rain.

Detail Around Soil Building Compost

A premium, all-purpose natural planting and garden soil amendment. Contains all-organic, long-lasting ingredients including chicken manure, bat guano and kelp meal.

Helps break up clay soils, improves drainage, promotes healthy root growth and adds valuable micro-nutrients to the soil.

Suitable for:

Seed top-dressing for new or existing lawns

Bare-root planting

Mulching

Detail Around Bark Mulch

Made from Ponderosa Pine and Douglas Fir.

Excellent for flower beds or in tree wells.

Conserves water, minimizes weed growth and insulates surrounding foliage.

Is an attractive addition to any landscape design.

Thanks

Comments (8)

• hallerlake
    14 years ago

The compost will feed and improve the soil which the bark will not.

• lilydude
    14 years ago

The compost may wash away if applied now. Much of its nutrient value may be leached out by spring. It will also support weed seedling growth, which the bark will not.

I would use the bark.

Next spring, I would apply some lime and a little balanced fertilizer to the bulb beds. Or apply lime and sprinkle some of the compost.

• muddydogs
    14 years ago

Tulips don't really care whether they're top dressed ot not.
    Their greatest destroyers are moles, voles, and deer.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

You can use whichever you prefer....or both :-) For many years, I have mulched only with compost (G&B's Soil Building is one of my preferred choices). Nutrients are unlikely to 'leach' out of compost over the winter - they are released only with the activity of soil organisms, some of which will continue to conduct this activity over winter as well. Compost can support weed growth as will finer grade bark mulches as well but it works equally well to suppress underlying weeds and their seeds. Niether will contribute to waterlogging the soil unless the drainage is inadequate to begin with.

While tulips and other hardy bulbs don't really require mulching, doing so over bare soil is a good idea anyway. It helps to prevent the compaction and erosion that can occur when soil is left exposed to the elements over winter. And it does help to keep weeds down.

• anuparaj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

gradengal48 Thanks much..I'm going to go with a G&B mulch (Harvest Blend to be specific) with some coffee grounds and bone meal mixed in.

My tulips are in beds that contain other plants, so the mulch will be beneficial to all other plants if not specifically to the tulips.

• Embothrium
    14 years ago

Wild tulips are native to high deserts, that's why they are in leaf only during the spring - the rest of the time it is too hot or too cold. Highly organic soil, with lots of litter on top is not likely to be part of their habitat.

For more on use of bone meal in the garden...

Here is a link that might be useful: Microsoft Word - B&B #45 - bonemeal.doc - Powered by Google Docs

• anuparaj
    Original Author
    14 years ago

WOW...Who knew their was so much to bone meal. :-)
    I have to say it was very informative and an excellent read.
    Thanks much bboy..

• bobb_grow
    14 years ago

Hmmmm..... very interesting. I have not heard of that before but it does seem to make sense. I wonder how many hundreds of dollars I have spent on even more pounds of bone meal over the last number of years thinking I was helping plants & bulbs get a good start.