Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

Thursday Storm Check-In Thread

Okiedawn OK Zone 7
13 years ago

It's a new day and, hopefully, a calmer and quieter one.

Please check in and let us all know how you and your garden came through the wicked weather.

Here in Love County, I'm sleepy (thanks to a weather radio that insisted upon going off overnight) but fine. Our garden was untouched.

Dawn

Comments (9)

• ezzirah011
    13 years ago

Fortunately, we didn't get much but some rain where I am at.

hope everyone is ok!!!

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

Got rain early in the day, but NOTHING from the time the tornado sirens went off. Rain amount yesterday: 7/10 of an inch

• soonergrandmom
    13 years ago

Rain, wind, lightening, thunder but no real damage to property, unless you count the corn that is taking a nap. All of my corn stalks have fallen to the south. I hope I can hill up around them and get them to stand again, but right now it is way to muddy. I had some potato plants fall over, but I think they just fell from the weight of the straw when it got wet, and I think I can fix that.

We got one and three quarters of an inch of rain at the Mesonet, bringing our 7 day total to almost five and a half inches.

I had my containerized tomato plants covered fairly well so they are fine. When night fell, it looked like I had a derailed train in my yard from the way I had to cover them. I had a small tarp across tops of short tomato cages, and 7-gal nursery pots over those that were still small enough to cover. Most were touching the tops of the pots, but it worked.

My last new piece of row cover now has several holes in it, so will probably cover the eggplant with a piece of curtain material today and hope enough sun gets through. I haven't taken it off yet, but it almost looks as if some animal tried to get under there last night. Since my hollyhock leaves look like lace, I know the eggplant couldn't survive a flea beetle attack at this stage.

I have been trying to keep the remainder of my tomato transplants healthy so I can have them to give away at a church gardening class that is next Wednesday night. They have been inside for 24 hours, so I have to go get all of them back outside today. I don't see any bad weather coming for our part of the state today, so I hope it is safe for all the plants today.

• Macmex
    13 years ago

I know we had rain. But that's all I know. I was asleep and when I left for work, it was still dark. I didn't see a lot of leaves or branches down.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• elkwc
    13 years ago

Glad to see that most that has checked in hasn't had any severe damage. I had a stem of two broke off a few plants but nothing that will hurt them. Looks like we are in for several days of heat. From cold to heat again with no in between. Jay

• greenacreslady
    13 years ago

We had an interesting evening. We spent about an hour in the storm shelter. And it was a very crowded storm shelter ... four adults, two teenagers, an 8-year-old, 3-year-old, 3-month-old, a lab and a springer spaniel. Whew! But it went surprisingly well and none of the kids or dogs freaked out. There were tornado warnings all around us and the clouds were rotating but thankfully we got only rain (LOTS of rain), high winds, and some hail. When we came out we were greeted by a beautiful rainbow. And huge ponds/puddles all over our property. The water was flowing like a river in front of the new building. As it seems is often the case, it was beautiful after the storm and today was perfect. Just warm enough to feel wonderful without the high humidity of the last few days. The frogs are really going to town with all this water around.

Suzie

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carol,

You've had too much rain. We have had 4" and I thought that was way too much.

Suzie,

That was quite a crowd. I'm glad the worst of it all missed y'all. The Weather Channel was showing footage (maybe from KFOR--they used a lot of their footage that night) of a rainbow that night and it was such a gorgeous sight, especially after all the wild weather. I wonder if it was the same rainbow y'all saw. I'm surprised your humidity wasn't worse yeseterday. Our was awful, but we were in the mid-80s and maybe that made the difference. Our humidity was giving us a heat index about 4 degrees hotter than our actual temperature. Yesterday and today we've had morning fog.

The frogs have been deliriously happy and are out hopping around all over creation. They'd better watch out...we have a big old cat named Moe who eats frogs. (I keep telling him to eat voles and gophers instead.)

I am going to enjoy the next few dry, sunny, clear days as there is no rain in our forecast down here for the foreseeable future....not that I want to go without rain for months on end or anything like that. A dry week would be nice though.

By the way, y'all, El Nino has officially ended and La Nina is apparentlhy beginning without too much of a neutral period in between them. That has me a little worried. It reminds me of 2005, and in my county that was the beginning of a miserable, long drought.

Dawn

• owiebrain
    13 years ago

We're finally back. The storm took out power for a bit but took down our internet for days. Just got back online today.

Lost one, maybe two, tomato plants. Several onions blown/pounded flat. Overall, came through pretty good. Got roughly 3" of rain out of it.

Diane

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Welcome back. At least you got rain out of it!

I'm glad your internet is back. It felt strange here with you 'gone' even though I knew from your blog that it really was the internet that was gone and not you.

Are you ready for the heat and humidity......cause here it comes!

Dawn

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor