Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merryheart_gw

Baby bird we rescued today

merryheart
16 years ago

This baby sparrow got caught in the bird netting over our peach tree this morning. It's mom and extended family were most upset. DH and I opened the netting so he could make his way out. They just leftt he bird house yesterday afternoon and are not flying well yet.

I have TOO MANY SPARROWS around here but still have to take care of all the little critters.....lol.

We always seem to have some small adventure going on around here.

G.M.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baby Bird

Comments (2)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

What a little cutie! I am glad you were able to free it from the netting. I am seeing a lot of baby purple martins and baby barn swallows (as if we need any more barn swallows!).

• merryheart
    Original Author
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Oh my....I feel like I live in an autobahn society research center! lol. We have so many birds this year...more than we have ever had before.

Tons of Barn Swallows! Remember early in the spring when I complained they were nesting on the neighbors front porch and trying to nest on my patio? Well we didn't allow them to nest here but they were not all raised on my neighbors porch either...lol. There are so many of them. And I am hoping we are having Purple Martins as some of our black birds...there are a couple of Martin houses a few houses down. And Grackles fly through often....I run them off each time I see them as I just hate those loud obnoxious birds.

Sparrows have taken over my yard. I plan to plug or remove the bird houses I have on my fences when they are done with them....the population of sparrows is just too high in my yard. Each time I go out there is loud constant chirping out there coming from every part of the yard and sparrows all over the place. Those fledgling sparrows are so loud-mouthed...hahaha.

I have been seeing a type of bird and I have no idea what it is. It is sort of large..larger than a Robin, has a yellow breast and a sort of olive green back with white cheeks. I have been all through my bird book and several times on a great bird I.D. site on the net but have still not been able to identify this bird. I have seen one or two in my yard and one in my mom's courtyard area yesterday as well, which is a few blocks from me. I am waiting for a better and closer look at one so I can identify it better. Each time I see one I don't have my binoculars handy.

We have some robins and mockingbirds who pass through also. And occasionally a mourning dove. I have not been able yet to attract Cardinals to my yard. I had a pair of them visit a few times a couple of weeks ago so went and bought a new bird feeder and some black sunflower seeds only have them leave. I really want to attract cardinals as they are my fav bird.

I saw a hummer on my calabrochoa a few days ago...but I have not seen any visiting my odd little feeders I put out after we lost our kitty. They are stakes which I put in the ground and have a small feeder with a large pink flower on them...lol. If the birds are coming to them I have not seen them yet.

One thing I can say for sure...I don't seem to have a high mosquito population right now with all the birds I have flying around. But I am hoping that will continue to be true after all this rain we have gotten now.

I thought I heard wrens around my back fence a few days ago...but didn't see them. I also love wrens and I have wondered what has happened as we normally have quite a few.
    The neighbors pigeons still fly around on and off all day.

And I found out that the 'OWL' I called "our neighborhood owl" is not an owl at all...it is the sound a Mourning Dove makes. Dad taught me to "blow my fist" when I was a child to make that sound and I have thought all my life it was an owl sound....lol. NOT!

Still learning-although much more slowly-at over 50...lol.

G.M.