Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Can I really take my palms out for the day?

andyandy
11 years ago

I take every opportunity to give my palms a good wind and or rain bath in the winter when I can. the opportunity has arrived. it is currently 51 and tommorow we could hit 60 (with maybe even some sun) I'll take everything out for the day and let them enjoy some fresh air for an afternoon. I'm no molly made so there is some dust in the house and I have a cat.I can probably take everything but my coconut out tonight when I get home.The low is supposed to be about 47 tonight. Knock on wood this winter so far has been every bit as mild as last year. I Think 9 is the lowest I've seen and that was one night. other than that a handful of teens.

Comments (10)

• us_marine
    11 years ago

I'd take it outside during the warmest part of the day in a full sun area that has heat radiating from walls or something. One day to a few wouldn't be any different than what one might see in Southern Texas, and Southern Florida. But I wouldn't leave it out over night.

My coco really needs the heat to recover. Its losing fronds fast from the fungus earlier. Since it has weakend being inside it returned. I've sprayed again but need to again. But its really hasn't been that warm here and currently we are getting an artic blast, yeah! :/ So that will have to wait until after.

Long term forecasts arn't always accurate but so far they havn't changed too much. If its right we will reach the low to middle 60f's for most days in the forecast. That might be what my coco needs. I'm sure near a wall or under my porch temps will be at least 5f-10f warmer than actual temps. Which means slow growth, but growth non the less. If not my coco may only have one-three fronds by the time its time to take it outside again...

- US_Marine

• LagoMar
    11 years ago

Studies from U of Fla say that palms have little to no growth during the winter. And that's in Florida. I think growth has more to do with length of day and amount of sunlight than with the actual temperature.

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Some of my palms are zone 8 palms so a night in the mid-high 40s wont hurt them. I keep my house pretty cool (61 from when I go to bed until i get home from work the next day and 66 when get home. I have seen a little growth.

Us marine-
    Sorry to hear about your coconut. is it outside full time. Mine has had the oldest fron brown up bu that's because I only water once a week and when I do i don't soak it. Better to loose a frond them have root rot in the constant low 60s. I just came back from lunch, the sun was actually out. it felt great even with the wind.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Actually its my indoor one :/ This will be the last time I buy a coconut palm and not inspect it better. I thought those ones just had normal damage from being inside too long so I thought I would save them. But they ended up dying and infecting my other one... Go figure. I bet they probably watered over head too often. I have no clue how long they were there.

If this palm survives its pretty tough.Its getting attacked by different angles. Doens't help that my southern windows have shade cloth to keep light out. And then I discovered ants farming palm aphids and they were infested badly near the newest spear and fronds. I mean the fronds and spears were so badly infested they were almost completely covered with aphids. And for a while soapy water wouldn't kill them. I ended up wiping off most of them then spraying with more concentrated dish soap and water. I wouldn't be surprised if thats how the fungus was introduced and re-introduced to my indoor palm.

Temps in my house are kept near 68f but drop to about 64f or colder at night. I havn't watered since Nov. I need to water again. How often do you water yours while its inside?

Anyway the one outside I already knew was gonna die. Its still alive somehow but really all the fronds are dead. only thing alive is the stems and small parts of the newest frond.

- US_Marine

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A quick suggestion, I treat all of my palms with systemic granulas every August (when it's still warm and the plant is actively growing) Ive not seen aphids, scale, or mites in years.

• jimhardy
    11 years ago

Actually the temp does make a big deal.

Just about every palm will start growing when temps are over
    70F,if your daily highs are in the low 70s the mean temps depending
    on your lows could be 60F or less,so a lot of palms won't grow.

Probably not many Trachys in Florida but the ones that are
    would grow well during the winter season as many are
    cooler temp responders-maybe Princeps would be an exception.

I notice my Banana plants really take off when the temps inside
    go over 75F,to bad I always forget in spring and throw them out
    early but once again,until you get into the 60/80F range
    they are slow-one exception is in fall when the ground
    is still warm and roots are well established.

• cliff98
    11 years ago

You can if you want. The main benefit will be any rain they get as rainwater is the best water for any plant. They will, however, not receive any real measurable benefit from a temperature of 60*F from any temperatures they experience indoors.

• islandbreeze
    11 years ago

I pulled 3 of my palms outside...two big Taylor form Trachycarpus Fortunei, both about 2 feet of trunk. Both are in pots that are way too small for them, so they dry out really bad sitting in my garage. About half the fronds dried up, so I gave them a good soaking. Same thing with a smaller Phoenix Sylvestris. It's a great opportunity to get them some much needed soaking and fresh air.

• us_marine
    11 years ago

Thats a great suggestion andyandy :) Where can I buy them?

And I agree with jimhardy. Day light hours does affect plant growth but temperature do as well. The cold hardy palms should still have growth, although it will not be fast. Just look up winter to summer temps of San Francisco. They arn't too far off from each other and yet there are many palms growing there.

As for coconuts I think it depends. However, I do know coco's still grow in Southern Florida in winter. Its just greatly reduced.

Just something to think about....If you ever left a plant in the direct sun even when temps are about 60f and then feel the soil/container and leaves you will find its pretty warm. I don't see why the plant would not respond to the warmth and grow. Whatever parts recieve direct sun light will be warmer than air temps. As long as its sunny. And if placed well, like near a wall that radiates warmth then the over all temps near the plant should be warmer. I personally think that would be warm enough for a coconut palm to get some growth. May not be a lot but might be more than jsut inside alone. The benefit from recieving direct sunlight may also come in handy when acclimatizing it back to full sun in spring. Or am I just crazy? lol

- US_Marine

• andyandy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

us marine-
    You can order online or any gardening store should have them. I did thatw them all out for the afternoon. The only real benefit was being able to rince them off. I like getting the dust off of the leaves ad often as possible. Reality has set in though. there are snow flurries falling today.