Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
spoonplayer

Poppies in PA?

spoonplayer
18 years ago

Hello! This is my first year trying to grow flowers so this may be a stupid question. Do annual poppies grow in Pennsylvania?

I sprinkled seeds on the soil in the beginning of April and have been watering ever since, but I don't see any sprouts. Maybe poppies are not for this area or need warmer weather to sprout? Does anyone grow poppies in PA and on what schedule do you plant and see sprouts and eventually flowers?

Comments (8)

• witsend22
    18 years ago

when the soil warms enough they should sprout if birds and such didnt eat em all

• nick_17815_pa
    18 years ago

My oriental poppies are starting to pop up here and there from the plant reseeding itself. I'm not sure about the other poppies I had from the wild flowers I had last year though.

• mrsgalihad
    18 years ago

If you have any seeds left you might try starting them in a container and planting them out shortly after they sprout. I sprouted mine in a milk jug and planted them out several weeks ago.

Also check out the winter sowing forum. There is an extensive FAQ section to tell you all about it. You can use the basic method all year round.

• bulbs
    18 years ago

Hi - I'm from a bit north of Philly - tried sprinkling some seeds out last year with no results. This year after discovering the winter-sowing thread, had seedlings of 4 different kinds planted. Sure expect some growth/bloom soon. (And some of those seeds were from same packet as last year, so can't blame the seeds)

• spoonplayer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I'm getting a late start, but I just spring sowed the leftover seeds in a soda bottle and a few in peat pots as well. Hopefully something will happen. If not, I'll get more seed and winter sow next year. Boo hoo, I really was excited about them.

• katybird_PA
    18 years ago

I've had good luck with several types of poppies including Bread seed poppies and Corn poppies. The bread seed poppies are up thick, but I haven't noticed the corn poppies this year. Maybe they are later.

• loretta5_gw
    18 years ago

Winter sowing is the best! However, poppies resent transplanting, though it can be done. Next time go out in January or February (or even December), sprinkle the seed where you want the poppies to grow. Then go in the house, have a hot drink, and wait for spring. Poppy seed loves snow, rain and even ice. They will germinate in the spring and be stronger than if you had grown them and transplanted them. Oh yes, you can also just sprinkle right out of the dried pods in summer or just let it fall to the ground (don't cover it). Annual Poppies are sooo easy.
    Loretta5

• pattygrow5
    18 years ago

Have lots of california poppies that came up great tried last year couldn't get them to work but this year no problem. Patty

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH