Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helenh_gw

asparagus in a pot

helenh
13 years ago

I just planted my asparagus that I bought last spring. I buy asparagus because I love to eat it but haven't had good luck getting a good stand. Usually I don't prepare a good spot before I buy or I don't keep it watered in summer. This asparagus was hastily put in a large pot with impatients. I watered it all summer because it was near my front door with other pots full of coleus. This may not be a good method for efficient gardeners but it worked for me. It was attractive all summer and now that it is raining often and I am in the mood again, I gave it a good spot where I pulled out a tomato. I added lots of manure; one day I may finally have all the asparagus I want. In spring I usually have it for breakfast because what I find is immediately eaten with too much butter.

Comments (7)

• gldno1
    13 years ago

There is nothing more delicious that fresh asparagus with butter and pepper.

I still am not completely happy with frozen but it is better than none in the winter.

Watch the Bermuda Grass where you put it!

• christie_sw_mo
    13 years ago

It seems like asparagus would be a great thing to grow in a container so it would be easier to keep the weeds out, especially Bermuda as Glenda said. Bermuda spoils a lot of things doesn't it.

I tried to find information on growing asparagus in containers a a year or two ago and couldn't find much. I don't think it's a common thing to do. It would need to be in a pretty big container to let the roots grow.

The article below says the pot needs to be at least 20 inches deep but I came across another article that says the it should be a minimum of five FEET deep. lol Now I wonder what that would cost, along with enough potting soil to fill it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Asparagus In Pots

• mulberryknob
    13 years ago

Helen, if your soil is acid, your asparagus would benefit from some woodashes or ag lime. Asparagus likes nuetral to slightly alkaline soils and most soils in the Ozarks are acid. I doubt that you would HAVE to have a 5 ft deep pot just because the roots go that deep when planted in the ground, but I would certainly want at least 3 ft deep and wide for a single plant. And since a single plant is not enough for even one person, if you were going to grow it in containers, it would take a lot of containers. Asparagus can also take a fairly deep mulch after it is well established. We have used sawdust, shredded oak leaves and now wood chips. These are all acid, so we top dress with wood ashes.

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have lots of wood ashes available in winter and a deep mulch is a good idea because the weeds getting in a perennial bed are a big problem. I will not keep the asparagus in a pot. It is just that in the spring when there is so much to do and weeds are growing like jack and the bean stalk, it is easy to buy something and not take good care of it. Asparagus is an attractive plant and it looks good in a pot with annuals for a temporary home. I don't have good luck with lilacs either but one year I dumped a bunch of wood ashes near a lilac and it did better. I didn't keep that up. I can grow blueberries without many additives and my friend in Joplin can't. I do think I have acid soil.

• taz6122
    13 years ago

mulberryknob I've never grown asparagus but if it loves nitrogen then wood chips is a bad idea. Wood binds up nitrogen and makes it unavailable to the plants.

• apartmentfarmer
    13 years ago

I'm trying to grow asparagus is a container this year. First pot I used filled up with roots within a few months. repotting it to a bigger pot seemed to have done the trick and my stalks are slightly thicker.

Here are lots of pics - I am not sure what size of pots - maybe I will measure them one day :)

Here is a link that might be useful: click here to my CONTAINER ASPARAGUS experiment

• helenh
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Asparagus in a pot may not work if that is their permanent home. It occurred to me that if I were living in an apartment, I would be trying the same thing. A big part of gardening is experimenting and looking forward to the result - thinking and dreaming of the future and watching something grow from a little seed or plant. That is why I am already thinking of morning glories for next year.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!