Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
very_blessed_mom

An old-timer turned organic

very_blessed_mom
15 years ago

We went to a family reunion last weekend in southern OK, a place called Girty in Hughes county to be exact. I was sitting under the shade of an old tree watching the kids play and overheard some great gardening discussion. The older generation men had gathered not far from me and were talking about their gardens. One took over the conversation saying he'd tried the recommendations of a truly organic fella that didn't use chemicals in any way shape or form if at all possible. Not for pesticides, fungicides or fertilizer. The tone of his voice was like can you believe that? (I immediately thought of Dawn, except he said fella). He said for the last 2 yrs at the recommendation of this organic guy, he's been applying 300 lbs of alfalfa meal, 200 lbs of corn meal and 100 lbs of powdered molasses. All you had to do was skatter it by the handfuls and till it in a bit. He went on to explain how he was putting back in nutrients that gardening takes out of the soil and how he thought it all worked. He said the organic guy told him you couldn't overdo the alfalfa or corn meal, but you had to be careful on the molasses. It was just the best eavesdropping I've ever done. I can't really describe how entertaining it was to listen to him explain everything in such a way to these other older men so that they wouldn't think he'd gone nuts became some sort of hippie. He told them he's had the best garden since he's started doing this than he'd had in years. He kept saying how skeptical he was at first and how nervous he was when he went to the feed store and ask for powdered molasses. He quickly added they said "sure we have it -- what are you wanting it for, your garden?"

Anyway, I just thought it was worth sharing. I don't know if the quantities he mentioned are good amounts or how large of a garden he had. I hadn't heard the molasses part, but there is something about it in the FAQ "Where can you get Cheap Natural Fertilizers and Soil Amendments?" of GardenWeb

Jill

Comments (7)

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Jill,

What a fantastic story! Thanks for sharing it with us. Reading it just made my day! I try really, really hard NOT to be a die-hard organophobe who insists that organics are the only way because I think each of us has to do what we believe is right for us. I also don't think you win many converts to organic gardening by hitting people over the head with a 2-by-4, if you know what I mean. I will say that I've never seen anyone SINCERELY try organic gardening and then give it up to go back to a chemical-based system.

I need to get out to the garden. One light rainstorm has just passed and I need to finish picking beans before the next one comes through (IF another one does come through).

Later, though, when the rain starts up again and I'm back inside, I'll tell you a little about the miracle of dry molasses in organic gardening. (Wet molasses is helpful too, but in different ways.)

Dawn

• Macmex
    15 years ago

I was raised non-organic and when we were in grad school I went organic for two reasons:

1) I didn't have the money for sprays, etc.

2) I picked up a copy of Rodale's Organic Gardening Encyclopedia, at a garage sale, for 10 cents!

I started using that info and had a much better garden.

Recently, I lost a row of potatoes to Colorado potato beetles. This is the one pest I've had real problems with, for three years now! I was so mad! So after 26 years of organic gardening I went out and purchased some Sevin....

When I got out in the garden and looked at my other potatoes, I realized that the lady bugs outnumbered the potato beetles by a whole lot. I thought, how am I going to kill just the potato beetles? ...

I ended up hand picking!

Now what am I going to do with this bag of Seven?!

George

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

George,

Dispose of it safely! (Or, if you have your receipt and it is unopened, you could take it back!) You know, I have had a couple of "panic" moments when I felt a pest was getting the best of me, too, and I ran out and bought a chemical solution but couldn't bring myself to use it, so I understand exactly what you've been going through. And, once I calmed down, I was relieved I hadn't given in and used the chemical but mad at myself for wasting money on it.

For the CPBs, have you tried a product with Bt 'San Diego' in it? It works great on the larvae, although not as well on the adults. Between it and hand-picking the adults and ege clusters, you ought to be able to achieve almost 100% control.

This year I haven't seen one single CPB even though about 75% of my garden is plants they love (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplants and also flowers from the Solanaum family). I didn't have any last year either, but I had some the year before. And, now, since I just jinxed myself by saying that I don't have any....I am sure they will show up here in the next day or so.

Even in the years I have had them on potatoes, they haven't really moved over to tomatoes the way they do in many gardens. Maybe it is just that they appear on the potatoes first, and I manage to control them before they can find the rows of tomatoes. (They are really slow-moving, you know.)

Dawn

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

I have had potato beetles in the past, but not this year. Maybe they can't swim!!!

• goneriding
    15 years ago

Oh no, I just googled a CPB and saw one of these near my tomatoe plants yesterday and wondered what it was. I am on a mission now to check the other plants. What is and where can I find Bt "San Diego"? Thanks for posting this.

• Okiedawn OK Zone 7
    15 years ago

Renee,

Go back to this forum's main page where all the current threads are listed and find the one called "Bt San Diego Names for Hannah". On that thread you'll find a list of the most common products that contain Bt "San Diego" and I linked a photo of one that is usually pretty easy to find.

You can get them at nurseries that carry organic products, feed stores, and some big box stores like Wal-mrt, Lowe's, Home Depot, etc. If you have a local hardware store, they might have it. If you can't find it locally, you can always order online.

The key is to get the right kind of Bt. There are many Bt products and three are commonly sold/relatively easy to find.

Bt 'Kurstaki' is the one that controls caterpillars.
    Bt 'San Diego' is the one that controls leaf beetles, including Colorado Potato Beetles.
    Bt "Israelensis" (and I may not have spelled it right) is the one that you put in ponds and other areas of standing water to control mosquito larvae.

Each form of Bacillus thuringensis is a bacteria that attacks only the pests listed on its label. That is one of the great things about it--it targets the pest but doesn't harm beneficials.

Good luck with the CPBs. Just hand-pick them and either squish them by grinding them into the ground with your shoe, or drop them into a dish of soapy water (I use a Cool Whip bowl) as you walk through the garden. I don't like touching bugs with my hands, so I buy medical-type latex gloves by the box, and wear them for buggy chores. LOL

Also, check the UNDERSIDE of leaves for clusters of CPB eggs. If you find them, scrape them off the leaf into the soapy water. I usually use a trowel to scrape them off. I'll link a photo of CPB eggs so you'll know what to look for.

Colorado Potato Beetles can often be found not only on potatoes, but also on tomatoes, eggplant, peppers and even on related flowers like datura (jimsonweed). If not controlled, they can devour the foliage and destroy your crops.

Dawn

Here is a link that might be useful: CPB Eggs on UNDERSIDE of a Leaf

• okprairie
    15 years ago

George, I got my basics from that Rodale encylopedia, too. I used to read it like it was a novel.