Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maifleur01

Peonies for the beginner/just to try

maifleur01
15 years ago

This is my annual message. Start looking at the box stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart etc, for low cost peonies to try before you start investing or higher priced plants. The stores start putting out the roots just after the first of the year.

Lowe's has had tree peony grafts in 2 to 4 inch boxes for several years. There is generally a label inside the filler or wrapped arround the stem. If you take out of a box to look be certain to put back in the correct one. Last year Walmart had a one tree peony but several herbaceous.

I don't use Home Depot because the stores near me are dirty and do not take care of any of their plants but look any way.

There are several regional stores which I don't know of the also carry peonies. On tree peonies look for nice buds and plant deeper than the instructions state. On regular peonies check for buds and heavier roots. Heavier roots normally have more nutriants. Plant as soon as you can get in the ground.

Remember "Buyer beware" these are peonies that may or may not live for you. These are a low cost method to see if the peonies will live for you and that you actually like them before you purchase from a real nursery for planting at the correct time of the year, fall.

Happy peonies.

Comments (3)

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

Over the years I have bought many boxes of herbaceous peony roots and rarely tree peonies. Eighty percent grow into good plants with very little invested. Remember these are minimum roots and will need to be babied the first year. I always grow them in pots the first year, planting them in the garden in the fall. Some will not be ready for the garden and I will keep them over winter in the pot in a cold frame, planting in the garden next fall. Al

• greenbug
    15 years ago

Hi,

Thanks!

I am a beginner and on the lookout too. So far none have shown up at our local Costco. The manager had no idea when they would be arriving or whether they would even order them this year. Haven't got a chance to check out the other stores yet.

It would be great if we set up an alert system here on the forum- if anyone sees them at their local stores, either Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot etc. to post an alert here. I promise to post an alert if I see something too.

I know BloomingBulb has an ongoing sale 30% off, free shipping, but they make you buy a minimum of 5 of the same kind, $ 5.84 per bare root, I believe. This offer lasts only till Jan 31st, but I would rather go the cheap way first (local stores), since I have never owned/planted a peony before. I also have no experience with BloomingBulbs itself. But for anyone interested and not on a budget, it may be a good deal, since there is also a 10% off for signing up for the newsletter.

Please do post any alerts on new Peony arrivals.

Anna

• maifleur01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Unless we all shopped at the same location putting out alerts might not help. However, a couple of years ago someone on ebay tried to sell plants that he had purchased at Walmart as from his grandmother's garden. It might be of advantage to post what plants you do find other than the normal Sarah, Mon Jules, etc. I saw a couple of bagged peonies that appeared to be from Russia and one from 1927 that you normally can not locate last year. So members might want to alert others to watch out for new peonies. Some such as Dancing Butterflys are just old plants renamed.