Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
getyourleash

Best Beginner's Yellow Peony

getyourleash
19 years ago

Hi Everyone! I am finally prepared to get a yellow peony. I'd like some recommendations on the best and easiest cultivars for Zone 7. I've been growing and caring for peonies in my gardens for years now, but a yellow peony would be a striking change from the vast majority of pinks, whites and purples I already have. Suggestions? Thank You in Advance.

Comments (10)

• diannp
    19 years ago

Do you want a tree peony or herbaceous?

diann
    IA Z5a

• getyourleash
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'd prefer a herbaceous one, but I am not an expert of any kind. I like the bushy peony look, rather than tree peonies.

• ego45
    19 years ago

You may want to check this thread.
    If you'll decide for P. mlokosewitchii and will be able to find the REAL one, not an imposter aka garden hybrid, you'll have not only yellow flowers, but distinctly different handsome leaves too. Fully grown plant will stands alone from all other look alike peonies when they are not in a bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow herbaceous peony

• bellarosa
    19 years ago

I bought my yellow herbaceous peony at Heronswood about 2 years ago. Its P. mlokosewitchii. It hasn't bloomed yet, but this year it did put out some new growth. I'm patient - maybe it will take another couple of years to get one bloom, but its a beauty - so I'll wait!

• peonyman
    19 years ago

I think that Zone 7 maybe too far south for a P. Mlokosewitchii to thrive. It seems to require a good winter cold period. Perhaps EGO would know better here. If it is not suitable for the southern site perhaps you need to look at a yellow intersectional such as Garden Treasure or Bartzella. There are cheaper ones also but I do think that these two are the best.

• getyourleash
    Original Author
    19 years ago

PeonyMan,

I am in Delaware and as far as I can tell we have had quite a cold winter! What are your guidelines for a "good winter cold period"? If it is of any bearing, my other peonies are happy and healthy here.

I'm glad you mentioned this, as usually I'm whining around about things not surviving winter, such as rosemary and tarragon!

All the best to you.

• ego45
    19 years ago

As far as I know, mloko in their native region of Caucasus exposed to extreme, but dry heat in a summer and similarly extreme cold in a winter.
    My guess is that Delaware's z7 would be the southern border line for mloko to grow successfuly in US.
    FWIW, just a guess.

• goted
    19 years ago

Hi,
    I am in z8. My mloko is very healthy. It hasn't flowered yet but other plants in Washington state in z8 areas have flowered. I would love to see mloko in their native Caucasus.

• diannp
    19 years ago

First off let me say that I love peony, no matter if they are herbaceous or tree. I think that tree peony seems to make a nicer bush when not in bloom. If you are looking for a yellow peony you might want to look at intersectionals as Peony Man mentioned. Check out Hollingsworth Peony. Mr. Hollingsworth gives great information on peony. He has intersectionals. I think you can also get a yellow herbaceous from Gold Port Peony.

Diann
    IA Z5a

Here is a link that might be useful: Hollingsworth Peony

• naillady
    15 years ago

The best yellow is the Bartzella, of course! It has 9-12 inch blooms, can have 80 on a single plant, and is an intersectional hybrid created by Roger Anderson. The Best!

Here is a link that might be useful: Itoh Hybrids

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm