Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Maypop & general question

phylrae
18 years ago

I've never seen a passionflower before in real life, esp. the whole vine etc.

I am wondering, and hope this isn't too silly a question, but can the flower be cut to place in a bouquet, or is this a ridiculous thought?

I am thinking particularly of Maypop, zone 5a. Phyl

Comments (6)

• passionflow
    18 years ago

Not a silly question but unfortunately most blooms only last a day so unsuitable for bouquets.

• phylrae
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Passionflow, I appreciate your quick response. I never knew this (that like daylilies, their blooms only last a day!) Thanks for the info! :0) Phyl

• debbiedo7
    18 years ago

I have kept a passsion flower bloom open by floating in water under a light. It was a long time ago, but I think that it stayed fresh for about 3 - 4 days. So you might be able to wire a few into a bouquet the day of the wedding.
    Good Luck if you decide to ;o)

• sean
    18 years ago

I have dried them with Silica Sand and while fragile, they look as good as when they are fresh. The colours intensify however.
    You could mix in dried flowers in your arrangement if you had the time to dry a few Passiflora blooms.

Cheers,
    Sean

• new2gardening
    18 years ago

Hello. I think I found these plants growing along the roadside. I cannot believe I did not notice the flowers, however, I did notice the fruit the other day. Someone picked several for me and called it Passion fruit. I allowed them to dry and now have them in a bowl. Can I get seeds, out of the dried fruit, to plant? I would like this to grow up a bell pole but the vine, I found alongside the road, did not seem to be very dense. Of course, it could be that it is DECEMBER?

Jill

• Bob (Seattle, Zone 8a)
    18 years ago

You can certainly harvest the seeds from the fruits, that's what they were produced for! :) Just know that germination can be very erratic for Passifloras -- sometimes you will get something up in a week, then nothing for a month, then 3 up, then nothing for a couple months, then more....

P. incarnata climbs/scrambles by means of tendrils; it doesn't wind like a morning glory. So if there is something on the pole for it to cling to, it may work, but it tends to be more a scrambler, holding to and growing over other plants. As you will see in other posts, it is also quite weedy when happy, so keep this in mind when you plant it; if it takes, you will eventually have it popping up everywhere, at a considerable distance from the mother plant.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH