Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Are Citrina and Lutea the same plant

karyn1
17 years ago

I just looked at a Citrina image that someone linked. It looks just like what I have that is marked Lutea. Are they the same plant or was my Lutea marked incorrectly?

Karyn

Comments (5)

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

No, they are different. P. citrina will have larger flowers and is rated as a zone 10 plant. P. lutea is possibly the hardiest of all Passifloras. Root cuttings of yours and leave it outside next winter, and if it comes back, you will know its P. lutea. Of course, if it does not come back, you really won't know, as it could have died from other causes.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kiwinut. This plant has very small blooms, about 1.5" long. I guess it's a bit too late to plant one of my cuttings outside but I'll definitely try it next year. This one roots easier than any of my other varieties. I've had branches break off and grow where they fall. It also roots easily in water.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

The leaves of citrina and lutea are very different as well. Lutea will have a rounded, tri-lobed leaf that almost looks like a cartoon duck foot. The flower is also lacking petals, with pale yellow filaments dominating the bloom. There's a link to some pics below. Citrina leaves are more "shield" shaped coming to points on either side. The leaves aren't really lobed. It should be pretty easy to tell the two apart.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutea pics

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. It's definitely P. citrina. Guess it won't be staying outside in the winter! So far it hasn't set fruit. It is in bloom again so I just tried hand pollinating it with another of my passion flowers that are also blooming. I thought that maybe it didn't set fruit but supposedly I should get some. We'll see. I guess I can also throw away the nursery tag that came with it. lol
    Thanks again,
    Karyn

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I looked up P. citrina and the pics look like what I have that was labeled P. lutea. The foliage looks bad because it got hit with a horticultural oil that I sprayed on a nearby plant to kill the evil scale that manages to pop up when I take my plants inside : (

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!