Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
entling

Do you recognize this?

entling
16 years ago

This just opened today:

It came with the house, and I'd like to know what it is.

Comments (11)

• entling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I should add that it is scented and is about 36" tall.

• kyocius
    16 years ago

I don't know what it is (I know that doesn't help you) BUT its gorgeous!!!! You are so lucky to have had it already there for you!

• limequilla
    16 years ago

I think it's Felix Crouse -- a very famous one from 1881

http://www.heartlandpeony.com/

Click on the Gallery on the menu on the left side.

• entling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think it's Felix Crouse because that is described as "red" & this is definitely pink or fuschia. Also FC is described as Midseason, whereas I believe this is considered early, as it blooms b4 Memorial Day. I looked up some so-called Memorial Day peonies, but I don't think that's it either.

• carol_the_dabbler
    16 years ago

What am I doing wrong? I don't see any photo (or even one of those "we couldn't find the image" logos), or any link either, in that first post. (But I *do* see the photo in the Early Glow thread.) Do I need to change some settings?

• entling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I'll post a smaller photo on the gallery.

• amulet
    16 years ago

I agree Felix Crousse is much darker. It looks like it could be Monsieur Jules Elie (Crousse 1881). It is an early bomb pink just like the one pictured.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Peony Database - Mons Jules Elie

• entling
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks amulet, I have concluded that it has to be Mons. Jules Elie, as it does not seem to be anything else that is common. It is a weak-stemmed thing, even with peony supports, but I'm keeping it because of its great fragrance.

• carol_the_dabbler
    16 years ago

Thanks for adding a copy of your photo to the Gallery, Entling. That gives me some additional data.

I can't see your Gallery photo either, just your caption. I *can* see Laurelin's 'Early Glow' photo both on the Gallery and here on the Discussion page, and I can see photos on some other threads (but not on others).

Help?

• northerner_on
    16 years ago

Entling, thanks for your enquiry. I have the same thing, opened Saturday (but I'm up north in Canada) and mine also came with the house 23 years ago. They stopped flowering about 17 years ago because of a large shading maple and I moved them in 2003. This is the first year they bloomed and I forgot how beautiful they were, and I also realized that they were fragrant. Mine are also weak stemmed, with much fewer blooms than the fuschia coloured ones in my back border.
    I knew they were something special but now I have an id.

• RicDouglass
    13 years ago

I agree, I think its Mons Jules Elie as well. Yours is beautiful!!!!!