Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19696490

Favorite peony supports

User
16 years ago

Last year I used single stake supports where the top of the stake is a circle and you rest the bud through the circle, it sticks out the top. Actually I was not that thrilled with this method.

What are your favorite peony supports and when do put them out? They grow so fast!

Comments (4)

• jennie
    16 years ago

My favorite is a circle with a grid inside the cirlce and legs, I put it over the peony before it get more than a few inches high and let the leaves grow through the grid.

I'm a newbie though, only had peonies a few years and I only have nine, even with my three new ones from last Fall.

I've contemplated getting some wire fence and making a grid hoop over peonies too, because the circle grids are expensive and some leaves and flowers always manage to get around the edges.

I will look forward to seeing others' solutions too.

• billgoff307
    15 years ago

My favorites are the large wire peony supports from Klehm Nursery, (songsparrow nursery). I leave them on all year, to avoid risk of spearing the roots when I put them back in the spring. They last for years in the garden throughout the fall and winter months, too.

• judyefd
    15 years ago

A suggestion I got here years ago is to use old lamp shades and take off the fabric. There are rings at the top and bottom (sits on the soil) and vertical "poles" and a criss-cross at the top. Peonies grow right into them. I've found a few when folks leave old lamps out for garbage.

Yes, you do need to put them over the plants early in the season...all of a sudden they get tall and you don't want to break a stem putting the support on!

Also, someone here once suggested using circular tomato cages that she customized by cutting the bottom...and I don't remember the details. Try the search feature to get to the archive.

Enjoy!
    Judye

• kitty747
    15 years ago

I buy a 50-foot roll of the green coated rabbit wire fencing and cut it into appropriate lengths to fit the individual peonies. Believe it's about 24 inches high. If you put it on early enough the peonies just grow through it and it hardly shows. While the regular perennial supports are nice to have, I have over a hundred peonies to support and the expense would be prohibitive.
    Kitty