Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
masterlogger

reforesting farmland and permaculture.

MasterLogger
12 years ago

my goal is to start a conservation business that does logging, recreational, fish and game and maple syrup leases to generate money to buy and acquire more land for conservation purposes. does permaculture yield more food per acre than conventional farming? if so do you think it would be a good idea to bring back all the drained wetlands back and turn millions of acres of farmland into forests again? i think every state should have a big wilderness. i like farmland but think there is to much of it. if anyone has a good idea or advice please let me know and we can start a discussion.

Comments (2)

• Belgianpup
    12 years ago

No, permaculture doesn't produce as much food as conventional farming, but it is far more sustainable.

Selective logging might be appropriate (esp for high-value lumber), but you would have to fight the long-term midset on clear-cutting.

Draining wetlands isn't a sound practice.

Forest lands and farmlands usually tend to have quite different types of soil.

What are your intentions? To provide a living for your family? To feed your family? To make a lot of money? To cater to hunters?

You talk about wilderness, but what is the purpose? To replenish the land or to make money off it? For hunters, landowners tend to try to wipe out anything that interferes with deer and elk. For food production, most people try to eliminate the deer, elk, rabbits, groundhogs, rodents, etc.

Growing woodlands for the continued good health of the planet is totally different from growing them for a specific money-making purpose.

You need to determine exactly what (bottom line) your intentions are, not just a vague grow-trees-and-make-money idea.

Get hold of some of the Permaculture books,esp those by Bill Mollison, and see if what he is trying to do is what you want to do.

Sue

• TheMasterGardener1
    12 years ago

The above response said it all.

It does not sound economical. There would be only some room for profit. Focus on building up the permiculture, that is the the upfront "cost" many are not willing to make. Permaculture does not yield like conventional farming but it does not require all the machinery/labor or pestiside applications (in the long run perm wins). Again, its just that upfront time it takes to get it all going, where the conventional way is quiker and more productive. I see where your coming from trying to make money to then invest it in a positive way.

Check out some local farmer market pricing, look around for huge restaurants and food venders. With the right paperwork you can sell right to sources like that. I would study farming and the econimics involved in it befor doing anything.

Study the market,

Sponsored