Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
islandbreeze_gw

Washingtonia Filibusta VS Robusta

islandbreeze
12 years ago

I'm interested to know if anybody has grown both types and which one grows faster. Does Filibusta grow just as fast as Robusta? I have two potted filifera that do not seem to do well here. I'm wondering if it's just too humid for them here.

Comments (6)

• butiaman
    12 years ago

Everything I've read says Filiferas don't like humid conditions.There is one in E.Point,GA.Thats at least 30ft tall.It's dark green and very healthy.I tried to get some seeds from it,but the city of E.Point wouldn't let anybody get near the tree.It was loaded with seeds last year.They even went to the extent of putting a fence around it.So I know W.Filifera will grow well here.What doesn't make any since is HD only gets Robustas each year and there not cold hardy enough for here,go figure.
    Randy

• User
    12 years ago

Butiaman, are you sure it's a filifera and not a filibusta. Years ago, I planted dozens of filifera and robustas from seed. Fast forward to the present, I am overrun with W. robustas (and maybe a few filibustas) despite their somewhat more tender status. The filiferas seemed to die out over the years--I thinik they resent humid heat and excessive summer rains. And yes, I did find that filiferas grew more slowly.

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I also wanted to add that finding a pure Robusta of Filifera is getting a little harder unless you live
    in Palm desert or Phoenix and can find a "wild" stand.

I have bought a few of each but would guess that what
    I now have are Filibusta,not necessarily half and half
    but they each have varying traits from both.

Click for weather forecast

• earthworm73
    12 years ago

Randy I think I remember seeing a photo of the filiferas you mentioned. Were they near a vacant building or a construction site or something?

I think filiferas and fiibustas they lean more heavily towards fiifera grow in spurts. Where as robustas seem full speed ahead in optimal conditions. I currently have two "pure" filiferas and one filibusta. All still in the strap leaf stage (2-3). One is outgrowing the others by leaps and bounds. However both seem to grow in spurts.

• islandbreeze
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Does anyone know if Filibusta (the cross) grow just as fast as a Robusta? If not, any sources for small robustas mail order? I've about had it with my Filiferas, they're just not performing for me the way my Robusta did.

• butiaman
    12 years ago

njoasis & earthworm,
    I haven't seen the one im talking about in 3 or 4yrs now.It's about a 1 hour drive from me,and I just haven't had no reason to go there.I use to work near there,that's how I saw it.

earthworm,
    The place I saw it at was a Sony's restaurant at the time.All the Sony's restaurants around here have gone out of business,so maybe that one did to.As I was saying they had a fence around it,so nobody could get the seeds off it.I asked the manager and he said that the Southeastern Palm Society told him what it was.They put the fence up so they could get the seeds and so nobody would damage the tree also.He said they told him it was rare for one of those palms to live here with no problems.

It might have been a Filibusta for all I know.I've never seen a Filifera in person.I've seen plenty of pictures of them.I've seen plenty of Robustas in person.From what I could tell it looked like a pure Filifera.The trunk was grey and the fronds were a olive green color.It didn't have any red color to it anywhere,like Robustas do.Maybe I'll take a ride there this weekend just to see if it's still there.If it is maybe I can get some seeds :)
    Randy