Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skymom_gw

Help With Planting

skymom
17 years ago

Hi, Today I received my 6 bare root peonies in the mail. Unfortunately, they did not come with instructions as I hoped. I've never planted peony eyes before, I've only planted young potted peonies. Please tell me how to do this? Some came with 3 eyes, some with 5. Any and all suggestions for planting correctly and getting maximum benefit for my peonies is very much appreciated. Thank You.

Comments (4)

• skymom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

oops, I should add they are all herbaceous peonies.

• valentina
    17 years ago

skymom, just make a big hole, deep and wide, add lots of compost (and manure if you have) to the soil that you take out of the hole, mix in some bonemeal; place the peonies in the hole and make sure the eyes will not be deeper than 2 inches. Add the improved soil around the roots and water well. That's it.
    I usually make the holes about 18 in. deep and wider.

Valentina

• skymom
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Valentina, Thank You so much for the help. Wow, 18" is deeper than I thought, Thank You. I am pretty sure I put all the eyes for each peony in one hole, right? But, do I clump the eyes together or spread them around the 18" hole?
    I plan on planting 4' apart, does that sound right? I am planting them in front of a cement wall, so is 2' out from the wall okay?
    Also, how long do you think I can wait until I must plant the eyes? I've only had them one day. Each set of peony eyes came in its own bag, and I sprayed each to keep them moist for the time being.
    I must sound like a newbie from a plant abyss, *lol*. I am not used to planting anything from seed or root. Thank You.

• valentina
    17 years ago

I am sorry I didn't come back here sooner... This really is a slow forum :)
    I will try to answer some of your questions (in case you still need me to).

"Wow, 18" is deeper than I thought"

Peonies form big roots in time. You will be surprised *how big* if you dig these in 4-5 years. 18" is really not that big.

"I am pretty sure I put all the eyes for each peony in one hole, right?"

I am not sure what you mean by that... The "eyes" are the little buds at the base of the roots (tubers), where the stems form. These "eyes" will be future stems. They all grow from the same plant. You have a clump of tubers that have eyes on them. You plant this clump in one hole.
    If you have more clumps of the same variety then I would plant them in different holes.

"I plan on planting 4' apart, does that sound right?"

3' is the usual planting distance but you can plant them as far apart as you would like. They will take a little longer to fill in but they will be fine otherwise.
    I usually plant mine 2' apart :)

"I am planting them in front of a cement wall, so is 2' out from the wall okay?"

I think 2' is too much, but that is just my opinion.

"Also, how long do you think I can wait until I must plant the eyes?"

I wouldn't wait at all. I would plant them right away. It is good that you kept them moist, but I really hope you planted them already.

Valentina