Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vicutina

ZZ plant bitten

vicutina
11 years ago

Hi!
My ZZ has various "bitten" leaves: some have wholes in it; others seem to have been bitten from the sides.
Also, I noted some white matter at the start of the stem.
I'm attaching a pic showing both things.
Is this a fungus? Some other sort of pest?
WHAT DO I DO???
Thank you!
Victoria

Comments (11)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

fungus does not bite..

first pic is too fuzzy for me to see anything ...

ken

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Have you inspected the plant closely for a little caterpillar? I would upon seeing that pattern of munching.

The soil looks very wet, but that could be a trick of camera flash. Is it an organic mix? I can't see what you're referring to at the soil surface either. Moving back a bit might actually make a better close-up pic, especially if you're using a phone. Feel free to add more pics, you can add one pic per post...

• vicutina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a better pic (and I'll post to others on separate posts)
    I don't think the soil is wet. And perhaps what I see is something normal, it's just that I know NOTHING about plants, and it seems weird. Plus, I don't remember seeing it before.
    The mix is the one on the link.
    Thank you both!
    Vic

Here is a link that might be useful: My mix

• vicutina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a better pic (and I'll post to others on separate posts)
    I don't think the soil is wet. And perhaps what I see is something normal, it's just that I know NOTHING about plants, and it seems weird. Plus, I don't remember seeing it before.
    The mix is the one on the link.
    Thank you both!
    Vic

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My mix

• vicutina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

• vicutina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another pic

11 years ago

Something's definitely been munching on your plant. If you don't see any kind of critter, it probably flew or crawled away. This isn't the kind of damage that would require any intervention to maintain your plants' health except to keep an eye open for more leaf munchers.

If you're concerned about the formations at the base of the plant, that looks like

for this plant.

It looks like there may be salt/lime deposits forming at the soil surface. If tap water does not run freely from the drain hole when you water, and/or sits in a drip tray, that can happen. This can eventually be toxic to some plants, and the conditions that allow it to occur are usually detrimental to most potted plants, most roots don't like to be excessively soggy or sit in water.

To combat that, water the entire surface thoroughly, like a flood, and allow the plant to finish dripping in sink or shower before putting it back on a drip saucer. Detaching an attached saucer and just sitting the pot on it is usually helpful as well to make sure it is never full of water or impeding the flow of water exiting the pot.

• vicutina
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!
    I just wish I could find it! I've looked and I couldn't find anything. Should I be removing the soil to see if there's some sort of caterpillar? I hope I don't find any more leaf munchers but I'll definitely keep an eye on that.
    Thanks for the other advice too! I'll do that!

11 years ago

If you see a fresh bite, without brown at the edge, that may mean the muncher is still there. They are usually quite talented at blending in, can be very hard to spot. Caterpillars don't hang out in the soil, AFAIK, so I wouldn't bother digging around. They just munch on leaves until they pupate, make a cocoon. From that, an adult will emerge, a flying critter which would not munch on plants.

Sending good vibes to your plant!

• jean001a
    11 years ago

That's pretty amazing damage for a caterpillar. I'd suspect something. or someone, else.

How long have you had the plant? If a relatively brief time, perhaps it's a matter of just now recognizing the damage.

11 years ago

"That's pretty amazing damage for a caterpillar." Looks average to me.