Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
westmichiganflorafau

What kind of slug is this?

This interesting looking slug was found under a log while looking for salamanders, in SW MI, Ottawa county, on February 22. Any idea what it might be, if not, where I might try next? Thanks.

Comments (7)

• floraluk2
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

Looks like a Leopard Slug, Limax maximus, which we get here. Believe it was accidently introduced to the US.

westmichiganflorafau thanked floraluk2
  • westmichiganflorafau
    Original Author
    2 months ago

Markings do seem to confirm "Leopard Slug" even though the size is suggested to be 4-8 inches. However, my specimen is not extended and likely still in a dormant state due to ground temps, even though on the day I spotted it the air temp was in the 60's.

Apparently not considered a serious invader in MI, MISIN - Midwest Invasive Species Network, doesn't list it. Although I guess if it showed up in your garden you might feel differently.

iNaturalist actually shows a record in the same park, or very near the same park, where I spotted my specimen.

floraluk2 Thanks for the help.

• floraluk2
    2 months ago
    last modified: 2 months ago

8" would be a big example at full extension. They come smaller and if not stretched out can look much like yours.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

should it be reported to MSU extension service??? .. or the Ag office??

• westmichiganflorafau
    Original Author
    last month

https://www.misin.msu.edu/ doesn't list Limax maximus at their site so I presume it is not on their watch list.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    last month

well.. there ALWAYS has to be a first.. maybe they will name it after y.. lol ..

ken

• westmichiganflorafau
    Original Author
    last month

I don't know how to report to "MSU extension service??? .. or the Ag office??", you didn't provide a link or email address so it has been reported to "West Michigan Conservation Network". It cannot be reported to "Midwest Invasive Species Information Network (MISIN)" because the species is not listed at their website, hence, there is no "page" or "form" available to report it, in order to report it the species has to be pulled from a list. I know this from experience because I am registered there and have made reports before.