Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
muzzbait

starting a plumeria from seed...

muzzbait
19 years ago

alrighty...i'm 'planning' on bringing a darling plumeria into the world via a seed. i've been perusing ebay for seeds, and whilst most vendors are selling WAY more than i need, i am quite satisfied with the prices. now, i need someone to break it to me, and give me the ABSOLUTE truth. if i was to purchase some frangipani seeds, WHAT sort of change would i have of seeing some sort of (a) sprout and (b) inflos, mindful of the fact i live in cold and often-rainy melbourne...i don't know how many of you know about melbourne, but it is 'known' for having violently cold days (never below 8 or so degrees celcius), and nights that go down as low as 3 degrees celcius...

would you guys recommend any particular style? should i even bother? i've got about 10 cuttings that i 'rooted' about two months ago, and they look alright, i guess...i've started bringing them in overnight, now. it's getting mighty cold, as some of you may know...

but yeah, do you think it's even worth the hassle? will it work down here in melbourne? i've seen HUGE plumerias down here, though i've been told they have been established cuttings (or even mini-trees) sent down from tropical queensland.

so yeah, give it to me straight: what chances have i got? also, which ebay sellers would you recommend? is there anyone else i can buy seeds from???

thanking you all in advance...

Comments (5)

• Altadena_Mara
    19 years ago

Recently IÂve bought a number of batches of plumeria seeds from "cuckooznest" on Ebay, and am getting prompt shipments and eighty to one hundred percent germination. No problems so far.
    Mara

• felixcat
    17 years ago

I too have bought plumeria seeds and have had good germination.Because I am new to plumerias I had great difficulty in removing the seed coats after germination and actually pulled a head off one little seedling.I now remove any sprouted seeds at once and holding them by the cotyledons find it easy to peel off the skins and replant into their little pots.They don't seem to mind!Better than be-heading them!

• tdogdad
    17 years ago

felixcat- I have used two needles after wetting the coat, slip the needles in and part to split the coat. Seedling growers. Just realize that the plumeria has a wide range of genes and your seeds may look nothing at all like the parent. Also, seedlings usually take from 3 years to 20 years to flower with the bulk blooming in three. However, you usually need to wait for three seasons to be sure a flower is correct as many first flowers are not true to the plant. As a rule, the whites produce a variety of whites, but the multi-colors are the best because you can get all sorts of sizes, shapes and colors. The Moragnes are excellent as the seedlings are little giants and they hold all the colors in their genes. Daisy Wilcox is also great because it is so big (mine had a 7" flower last year although most are 4-5") I would also recommend Gloria Schmidt and Cooktown Sunset if you can find their seeds.

• John Perilloux
    17 years ago

Try this site. Maybe it will help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plumeria 101

• felixcat
    17 years ago

Tdoddad. Thankyou for your information on the use of needles.I have done that sucessfully since and I do feel a bit like a brain surgeon!I am delighted to see how well the plumeria grow in your areas on the forum because here in the U.K. it does not get so hot for long spells(perhaps global warming will change that)We are not allowed to import except from the european union but I have found a supplier of rooted cuttings on e-bay who is in Belgium and have bought a few named ones which I am very pleased with.I am reading your forum to learn as much as I can.Thankyou.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County