Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andyandy_gw

Dew points in the 70s. Palms love it

10 years ago

It's been quite tropical here about 10 out of the last 13 days. Except for a cold front that came in last Wednesday and lasted 3 days dew points have been in the 70s here. The past three days have been quite uncomfortable. Mid 90s with dew points in the mid 70s. My palms are shooting up but my veggies don't seem to care for it. it all ends Friday night when the next cold front moves in. Low 80s fro highs all of next week.

Comments (10)

• 10 years ago

My plants are loving this weather too. Every night has been above 70F and the days have been downright hot and humid. Today the dew point maxed out at 80F in my yard and the max temp was 102F. I feel like my plants aren't growing much faster in this weather than they would if it was in the upper 80s so I think some cooler weather will be welcome for my plants since they are losing a lot of water in this weather. Looking forward to a nice storm on Saturday and then some days in the 80s. Looks like we might get our first night below 70F on Monday, it's forecasted to be 68F.

The worst part about this time of the year is that you know the temperatures are going to start cooling down soon.

-Alex

• 10 years ago

Dewpoints around 70. Nighttime lows 78-82 for the past 5-7 days. Yeah, very tropical here in Northern Virginia, even in the blue ridge mountains. Tropicals love it, but man its brutal on us. Its like walking into a steam room, even at night. You are instantly wet when you walk outside. Daytimes, forget it, its just nasty. 70%+ humidity with highs 95-99. There is also virtually NO air movement. Not even a slight breeze. The air is just stagnant. This cold front that should push through on Saturday might bring brief relief , but then right back at the mid 90's and high humidity again sunday and the next week. Apparently the "dog days of summer" decided to come a few weeks early.

• 10 years ago

Just checked, the dewpoint is currently sitting at 80. Heat index today was 114. NASTY.

• 10 years ago

At 8:30 Daylight Savings Time (so really 7:30 solar time), it is already 87 f. With a dew point of 73, 'feels like' temp of 94, and heading for 100 in the shade. No breeze, no clouds, not pretty.

• 10 years ago

8:40 AM EDT, 84F, Humidity of 72%, Dewpoint 79F. Heading for 98-100 with heat index of 105-110 today. Heat advisories and excessive eat warnings are in place. Yuk.

• 10 years ago

same around here...think im going to the water park...

• 10 years ago

Hot(95F)here the last few days,luckily the daytime dewpoints have been in the 60s with a nice breeze...makes all the difference!

Your cold front is coming through here now and turning the winds west.

This post was edited by jimhardy on Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 20:19

• 10 years ago

Today was crazy humid and hot. High temperature was 100F, low temperature 80F and the highest dew point was 83F (lowest dew point of the day was in the mid 70s!). I feel like my plants aren't growing much faster in this kind of weather. Some things like my plumeria flowers are really coloring up nicely because of the hot weather, but the bananas and palms are growing the same rate as always, maybe even a little slower than usual. The elephant ears are growing like crazy though!

The heat ends tomorrow, but I think the mid to upper 80s is great. Hope everyone's plants are liking the heat!
    -Alex

• 10 years ago

When it gets that hot you almost can't overwater....esp Bananas,etc.
    One exception is Trachys should not be watered overhead as the
    warm temps(explosive pathogen growth) can cause spear-rot.

I think you guys have our dewpoints,"cold front" is through now with
    mild temps and dewpoints already in the low 60s...nice.

If you ever grow a Colocasia "Thailand Giant" and have those temps
    you will see it grow like a banana plant!

• 10 years ago

I personally think this excessive heat does more damage than good, especially to my trachys. They seem to be slowing down a little with the heat. Trying to keep everything moist. As far as the Trachys go, I'm trying to keep the crown dry & not overwater them. The mulch keeps the soil moist. However it seems my Musas can never get enough water. Its like friggin Brazil in my yard. Keep up the informative post, I'm learning a lot from you guys. I'm going to the beach, have a good day