Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
us_marine

How big should a 2 year old coconut palm be?

us_marine
13 years ago

Just wondering how big one should be in South Florida compared to the ones we keep as house plants during winter.

Heres my original coconut that I had for 2 years-

How is everyone's coconut palms doing? Hope everyone's coconut palms and other palms ae doing well-

US_Marine

Comments (18)

• andyandy
    13 years ago

USmarine-
    It may be tuff to say after the winter they had dpwn there. My company can next day air boxes CHEAP and i thought about sending a couple of my coconuts down to a co-worker in West palm Beach. I never did and am happy. They would have had to move them in aon out all winter. Mine came through with flying colors. All three of mine are triving in the above average temp/humid summer. As I write this it is POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING out and the next 4 days are suppsed to be partly cloudy and 90-93. That should be a nice little boost before next week when we have low 80s for highs and low 60s for lows. Lately we'vew been dropping to aboout 70 at night.

• plant54
    13 years ago

us_marine I think your tree looks wonderful. and you shouldnt compare those that are grown in South Florida to yours

ive been growing a chocolate-plant: (Theobroma cacao) in zone 4 for about 3-4 years. I could never compare the natural zone to mine but it lives and grows.

You maybe growing on the limits, but by god your doing a good job.

• tropicalzone7
    13 years ago

I also think your palm is growing great. Its probably a bit slower than those in florida since it is in a pot and it doesnt get muggy, tropical heat and moisture 6 months out of the year, but it looks great anyway! Ive had mine for a little over a year now and its finally starting to make mature fronds (but it will probably be another 3 or 4 more fronds before they are completely spilt). Mine is definitely growing a bit slower than the palms in Florida, but its healthy and thats good enough!
    They grow like crazy in the humidity of the 90s and also grow very well in the mid and upper 80s. But once days are in the 70s, they slow down and if nights are anything below 60F for more than a day or two, its going to grow very slowly.
    Yours is doing great and you will have a nice palm in a few years and its pretty close to where it is suppose to be at its age.
    Good luck!
    -Alex

• us_marine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am surprized she is still growing with lows in the low/mid 50fs.
    I was just wondering if my coconut palm growing about average. I really want to see it get as big as the ones in florida some day:)Thanks for the comments everyone, and good luck too!

US_Marine

• david_
    13 years ago

A two yr old Coconut palm in Fl would look similar to the one in the pic. I doubt it would be much bigger.

• andyandy
    13 years ago

I figured a two year old in Florida (assuming it was protected last winter) would be considerably bigger. That is a tall but I have heard that dwarfs can produce nuts in as little as 3 years and that talls take 7-8 years. I have been looking at Honolulu's weather as a guage more than Florida. I think that is a more natural envirnment for them as they almost never have nights in the 40s during the winter which can happen every so often in Florida. The weather in Honolulu is not as hot or humid. The dew point was in the 60s yesterday. It has been "cooler" than normal there. The average high is 89 u they have been in the 83-87 range and falling to about 74 at night. In any case you do have a great looking palm there. keep it up.

• zeeth
    13 years ago

My 2 year potted coconuts are about the same size, but I've seen coconuts in the ground start flowering with a little bit of trunk in the same amount of time (in ground vs. potted seems to make a big difference). Here is an example of that in Ft. Myers

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=20655&st=0amp;p=343288&hl=coconut&fromsearch=1entry343288

Here is a link that might be useful: Palmtalk

• andyandy
    13 years ago

Wow, in ground does make a huge difference. banans grow much quicker and i have really noticed the difference between my potted ones and the ones in the ground.

• david_
    13 years ago

It takes 5+ yrs for a coconut to flower and most it takes 7+ yrs in what I have observed. Maybe other places are quicker I'm not sure.

• zeeth
    13 years ago

David, check out the link I provided

• david_
    13 years ago

Zeeth yes that is pretty fascinating but not normal. That palm looks 3 to 4 yrs old in the pic. Do you think its possible it stayed in the pot to long and then planted out ? Do you have from seed to present pics ? Would love to see that progression to see that fast growth in pictures. I have pushed palms with fertilizer and they grow fast but sometimes they have problems like trunk splitting later on. Given the way most people grow palms like fertilizing once A year "maybe" I doubt you would get that growth. I think the palm you have is exceptional for that amount of time.

• us_marine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I wish my coconut would grow that fast!Even with cooler than average temps my coconut palm is still doing great, but I think the climate change is affecting other plants as well.

I just took this photo, let me know if you see something odd about it:P

I grew this plum tree from seed, its flowering again but in summer? LOL

• andyandy
    13 years ago

No experience with plum trees. When woutl they normaly flower?

• us_marine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It should only flower in the spring.

• London Anderson( Los Angeles/ Orange County )
    8 years ago

Hi I was wondering if anyone had some advise about how to keep my Coco palm health and alive in Southern California specifically

Los Angeles and northern Orange County.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    8 years ago

Hottest location-the more heat the better such as reflected from a hot wall,sandy soil,full sun,lots of water in summer.

• palmbob
    8 years ago

best location is in a greenhouse… preferably with a really tall ceiling

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County