Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evanband

Help identifying this bug, and how to stop them!

EvanBand
9 years ago

I've been seeing a bunch of these small bugs in the bathtubs of an apartment building. I assume they're coming out of the drain, since it's in the city, and no grass around.
At first, I thought they looked like deer ticks, which is strange where they're coming out. But when I saw a close up of it, I noticed the rounded shape, and antennaes. I don't think it's a tick, but what can it be.
Can you please identify it, and if it bites. A tenant had a tick bite and needed antibiotics, I'm trying to figure out if this thing bit him.
My first post on this site, thanks.

Evan

Comments (8)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

I can promise you one hundred percent that it's NOT a tick.

What size is it?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

maybe if we saw its face.. we might get a better idea.. as compared to its butt ...

whats it on.. a fake teal wig???

i know.. not much help ... lol ...

ken

• EvanBand
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry about the quality of the pic, but that's what the tenant sent me. It's actually on her green bathroom carpet, I guess. The one's I've seen before were not big at all, I'd say about 1/8". This pic is really enlarged. Thanks for the help.

• calliope
    9 years ago

Don't assume it's coming out of a drain. Tubs and sink basins are often traps for crawling insects who fall in and can't get out because of the slick sides. There are lots of bugs in urban environments, with no grass or trees around, and if you're seeing them in bathrooms, it may be because they like or need a moist environment. Sometimes some have population explosions where you do see large numbers of certain insects at certain times of the year. It's not a tick or bedbug.

• EvanBand
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Calliope for your info. I'm very glad that it's not a tick or bedbug. Is there anything special that we can spray for them, or just the normal insect spray? thanks.

• garf_gw
    9 years ago

This looks similar to the bugs eating my tomatoes.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Sorry, the bath tub bugs aren't at all similar to the tomato critters. Those on the tomatoes look like weevils. (We don't have them here so I don't know what to suggest..)

Edit to add:
    Think the bath tub fellows are spider beetles. Very small and like moist places. Probably fell into the tub from somewhere or something.

See the link below -

Here is a link that might be useful: spider beetles

This post was edited by jean001a on Wed, Aug 6, 14 at 18:35

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Jean, I think you've nailed it. I've never see this little guy, but that sure looks like it.

If it's being seen in several apartments, it makes sense that an infestation within the walls exists. Sounds like it will be a challenge to get rid of in an apartment building.