Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minderella_gw

Spinosad

Minderella
11 years ago

I have seen a few post about spraying with Spinosad. I was wondering why you are using it and what concentration are people using?

I used it in my vegetable garden but wondered why use it for the plumeria?

Mindy

Comments (4)

• ProudMamaSD
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy, although I haven't had any experience with it personally, from following Jen & Emily's conversation I believe it is used to combat thrips on plumeria.

Hope that helps,
    Wendy

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Hi Mindy! Personally, I started using it because I needed something specifically to control thrips - they were killing my plants - but also for several other reasons. I've only been using it for about a month now but so far I like it pretty well.

Reasons I chose to try it:
    It is technically considered organic, a biological agent.

It says it is only toxic to insects that eat your plants, leaving the beneficial insects safe. *Although, Spinosad is very toxic when WET, and it will kill a big you spray directly - you are to spray when birds, bees and other beneficial insects aren't so active. So it should help to not throw off the balance of insects as much as some other pesticides.

It is mild enough that it can be used weekly. This is something to consider, as I like it because it hadn't burned my plants or anything, but it does require weekly application.

• jandey1
    11 years ago

For anyone reading this post about pest control, before spraying anything please check that the ingredients DO NOT include any neonicotinoids. This is what's killing our honey bees around the U.S., and we will not have a steady supply of food without them.

Our bees are dying off at an alarming rate and neonicotinoids are the main reason, mostly from large-scale agricultural application--how ironic that to grow food they're using something that will prevent pollination of our food!--but it's still important for the home gardener to keep these products out of our yards and support our local honey bee populations.

I've linked to Beecharmers, which mentions imidacloprid, which I believe Kms2 said gave him even more spider mite problems after use to treat thrips, IIRC.

Here is a link that might be useful: List of commonly used pesticides

• Minderella
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your information. I havent seen thrips yet but I am sure I will.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH