Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rredbbeard

Nicotine sulphate/Blackleaf 40 source?

rredbbeard
15 years ago

This product used to be available at retail. Does anyone know where in the US this can be purchased now?

Thanks,

--Rick

Comments (15)

• jean001
    15 years ago

No longer on retail shelves. Nicotine is nasty stuff.

So, what is it you're trying to manage? Perhaps we can suggest something else that works.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

The product registration has been canceled by the USEPA so this stuff can no longer be sold, legally, in the USA.

• Kimmsr
    15 years ago

At one time, for some reason, some people did consider Nicotine Sulfate "organic" but it is as organic as arsenic and cyanide. Arsenic was at one time also considered as an acceptable organic pesticide and was marketed as Paris Green, but knowledgable people would not use that any more than the Nicotine Sulfate.

• bb20110108_celts_kennedycatholic_ne
    13 years ago

I have a bottle of black leaf 40 for sale, it is a little bit used like 1/6 is used. If you are intersted in buying please email me at bb20110108@celts.kennedycatholic.net

• taxus_man
    13 years ago

Back in '50 and '51 I sprayed trees, getting soaked several times a day. We used arsenate of lead and nicotine sulfate. Something in there must be a preservative. I'm 80 and still gardening. Every time we find something that works, the government bans it. cyanogas was another, yellowjackets in the ground. dead in minutes.

• irisola1225
    6 years ago

I too am in my 80's and still doing my gardening and yard work. In the past I had about 250 orchids and still live on 1 & 1/2 acres of property. Have not been able to buy Black Leaf 40 in years but u can make your own substitute. I go to a big box store and ask for their cheapest cherwing tobacco. Bring it home and empty it into almost a gallon of hot water. Then puncture a hole in the top of the bottle and set it in a sunny spot. I about a month you can strain it and seal it in smaller containers and use it just as you did Black Leaf 40. it is a Bugs-B-Gone for your garden and fruit trees when u spray it on them. I always wash my eatables very good before biting into them. Happy Gardening.

• rredbbeard
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I've made nicotine tea by the same method, and learned early on that it is quickly absorbed by the skin. When I was making it once I started feeling high, and realized right away what it was. It wasn't a big dose, but it would certainly replace a nicotine patch if anyone needed it!

My main concern with this is the possibility of transferring viruses from the tobacco to the orchids, which is a possibility. What do you think of that concern? Do I worry too much? LOL

Thanks,

Rick

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

I certainly wouldn't recommend using any nicotine product on tomatoes or any other Solanaceous plant. You could very well be introducing tobacco mosaic virus!!

It is important to understand that natural or organic pesticides are not necessarily any safer or more effective than synthetically derived ones. In some cases they can be far more toxic to both garden beneficials and humans/mammals than a synthetic pesticide. Considering the long history and extremely widespread warnings regarding nicotine and human health, there should be no big surprise this product has been removed from the marketplace!!

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    6 years ago

If you really want purified nicotine, it's easy to buy from vaping suppliers. Dangerous to handle, of course, so be careful.

• kimmq
    6 years ago

There are now other neonicotinoids being sold today that are as bad for many of the pollinators as that slurry made by soaking tobacco in water. Spraying nicotine products harms much more than it might save.

• Joseph Donahue
    3 years ago

Actually neonics can only harm pollinators if sprayed on crops that are pollinated... which is actually very few crops. Corn, wheat, rice, potatoes and soybeans do not require insect pollination and supply most of our macronutrients/calories(both directly and as animal products after feeding). Poliinators rarely visit corn... I have a colony of bees in the middle of about 200 acres of conventional corn with no ill effects whatsoever. Neonics on corn and other row crops are mostly done as a seed treatment and therefore there is no drift onto adjacent flowering plants... and the amount of material is very small relative to a foliar spray. Vegetables are only on about 1% of all croplands. Of the common vegetables only cucurbits(squash/pumpkins, melons and cucumbers) and okra require insect pollination to grow their edible portions... if you are growing out seed for other vegetables that require insect pollination then you just don't spray neonics on them. This practice is actually required in most pesticide labels and therefore legally the applicator is obliged to follow it.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    3 years ago

Neoncs may be more harmful than you might suspect.

https://abcbirds.org/neonics

tj

• Joseph Donahue
    3 years ago

Neonics have been widely used for a long time and there are no reported dieoffs of birds from them that I'm aware of... remember we are talking about over a 100 million acres of row crops here.