Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
graelin

Tabasco too tall?

Graelin
12 years ago

Hey folks, newbie here. I finally broke down and got myself a little tabasco plant to see if I'm capable of growing anything greener than dirt. I figure if it goes well, I'll buy myself a few more plants next Spring.

The little tabasco plant was in one of those biodegradable peat pots and was exceptionally tall, though a couple leaves were chewed and a couple others were twisted over. Still, in my mind, I thought taller = better.

I brought it home and stuck it in a 10" pot to start it off, sprinkled a little 10-10-10 in there, watered it and immediately noticed the little plant hardening-up nicely. I've only had it a couple days and it's already looking happier, plus the leaves have untwisted. But now I have some questions.

First, I've read that it's better to have a shorter, bushier plant. Should I snip the top off of my plant? If so, how far down should I go? It stands about 20in/50cm tall.

Secondly, I wonder if I should add bone meal. I've read that all pepper plants need quite a lot of calcium, and a deficiency shows in the form of wrinkly leaves, slow growth and low production. Mine doesn't look too wrinkly right now, but there is a sort of texture in the leaves. Should I add bone meal or do you think the 10-10-10 is enough for now?

Here's a pic of the plant for reference:

{{gwi:1177693}}

Comments (7)