Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxym

marble backsplash

RoxyM
11 years ago
Have white marble backsplash and contractors cracked it during installation. I need ideas for looks to prevent further damage

Comments (15)

• Janis Pasiecnik
    11 years ago
    make him redo it
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    11 years ago
    Ditto - he repairs it and pays for more material if needed!
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    Question - are you saying the tile contractor cracked the tile during it's installation or are you saying that something else was installed (like a countertop) and the tile was cracked during that process?
  • Kivi
    11 years ago
    It's not really clear what you are describing. Pictures would help
  • RoxyM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Our kitchen is White Calacatta Marble, the bar top is done and looks great. The backsplash extends along the whole back wall and up to top of the cabinet behind sink. We are having a framed out design piece in the center of the wall behind the sink. I've attached the photos of the crack and then an example of what its supposed to look like once its done (different material but same look). Question is do we have them redo the whole thing the way we originally wanted, sans, crack. Or do we go all white backsplash all the way up? Do we extend the framed out piece to bottom of backsplash to cover crack? Wasn't sure if they would have to take out the entire slab or if they can cut marble on the wall?
  • RoxyM
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    @Deborah it seems as thought it was cracked in half and the glued it back together before placing it on back wall
  • pollyfrost
    11 years ago
    Tell them to replace at their cost
  • charleee
    11 years ago
    It's their problem, their fix, on their own $$$$$.
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would ask them to replace it.
  • Amy Burke
    11 years ago
    Oh my! If you are saying this is what the fabrictor/installer did as they were contracted to provide and install the top and splash than this is Highly unnaccpetable. I don't even know where to begin. I would definately ask for it to be redone and also an explaination as to why the silicone caulking is sooo thick, why they did such a poor job patching the crack. I fear if you do not point out the other shoddy workmanship they may try to pass of something less than what you deserve and paid for. I wish you this best!
  • mcbee35
    11 years ago
    I own a granite and marble fabrication business and agree this is an unacceptable repair. Your fabricator should have discussed all the issues that come with a marble top and backsplash installation, including the potential for cracks, scratches, and stains. Especially in your kitchen. If that had been the case you would not be surprised the backsplash cracked. If they have more material they obviously should replace no questions. However, marble is often repaired due to cracks and is often barely noticeable. This repair is unacceptable and looks like someone with no experience did it. As said before the caulk joint I also ridiculous. They Should not have used silicone and it should be a right small bead. That looks like my 7 year old smeared it in. I would make your fabricator aware of the issue and insist on replacement/acceptable repair.
  • Amy Burke
    11 years ago
    Right on Mcbee35.
  • pollyfrost
    11 years ago
    So pleased for you, we are building and you can get ripped off by builders, so go girl claim what is your right, we do here in little ole NZ.
  • PRO
    Californo
    11 years ago
    Just talk to them, they'll fix it.