Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
quanton

My New Colletctions

quanton
10 years ago

My neighbor wanted to discard all the sagos (C. revoluta) in their yard because they have toddlers and pets. Their gardener uprooted all the sagos from the ground. Most of the sago root was severely cut, especially the "main" roots (about 1" diameter). Hopefully these deep cuts of the roots won't jeopardize their healthy recovery in their new environment.
The gardener rang my doorbell after he trimmed and uprooted these sagos. He asked me if I wanted these plants, if not they would be in the dumpster. I thought about it for two seconds and told him that I would gladly take them. I planted these three Sagos in the wine barrels with the cactus soil mix. Hopefully this mix will work.
I am grateful for the gardener for thinking of me to take these specimens. All three sagos look healthy. I am hoping that the winter months will allow the sagos to recover for spring sprout of new fronds. I know I sound very optimistic!
I have been researching and reading all the info I can get on this plant (soil type, nutrient requirements, outdoor placement, diseases, etc.). Another reason for me to join this forum is to share my findings and to ask questions from members. Has anyone used compost tea on sago?
Photo of my newly beloved sago collection. One question, what is that brown fuzzy hair-like on the fronds and the bulb (courdex (spelling?)). Also, is there an option to upload multiple photos at once? Thanks.

This post was edited by quanton on Thu, Nov 21, 13 at 17:05

Comments (6)