Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pj_orlando_z9b

home weather stations and other palms

pj_orlando_z9b
12 years ago

I've always eyed owning a Davis weather station. Yes they make lower end models but they're still expensive. After purchasing a Weather Channel setup a year ago (and having it break already), I ended up buying the Davis model. Not even close...if you are looking for a low end professional station, go with Davis. $280 vs $100 for Weather Channel but look at the quality difference. The Weather Channel model is cheap plastic.

The Weather Channel model (without rain gauge and wired anemometer:

{{gwi:1178820}}

The Davis Vantage Vue. The factory calibration is top notch and has been lockstep with our local airport since I put it up last week. It has the ability to track weather and plot it every 2.5 seconds. It hit 68.3F today!:

{{gwi:1178821}}

Some palms around my house...

This sabal minor 'Hatteras' has been impressive taking Northerly winter winds and other harsh conditions with no protection:

{{gwi:1178822}}

potted cordy is starting to get a trunk. Man I wish we could grow these in the mid-Atlantic!:

{{gwi:1178823}}

Love having the Livistonia palm still outside in late November. Can you believe this palm got hit with root rot in September after 15+" of rain that month (after {{gwi:1178824}}

Thanks for looking.

Go Hokies!!! Beat the Tigers!

Comments (8)

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I have the same weather station! I got it back in Late June and the temperature readings are pretty spot on and so are the rain measurements. The only thing I have been disappointed with is the wind measurement. During Hurricane Irene, we easily got wind gusts well over 45mph (probably some sustained winds in the 35 mph range), but the weather station never recorded anything higher than 21mph winds. And even a windy day never seems to be recorded as higher than 8 mph winds. The wind vane is moving properly so I dont think thats the problem.
    But anyways, I think the station is definitely worth the price! i have spent way too much money on slightly cheaper weather stations that dont work and finally I have one that does!

I have a question though, Where did you get the stuff to mount it on? I have a pole for mine, but the pole doesnt really fit properly.

Your palms look great too! That cordy looks fantastic. I have seen them survive mild winters here. In fact, about 5 years ago we had 3 warm winters in a row and someone planted cordy's in a row against their driveway and after 3 years they were forming trunks and got to about 5 feet tall! Then a cold winter came and killed them. It was sad to see such beautiful plants gone. Livistonias are one of my favorite potted palms (and they make good palms for overwintering also). I still have all mine outside and they look great. My neighbors have them outside too and they look perfect as well (and it seems pretty out of season to have green palms and flowering annuals and Christmas decorations around a persons house!).
    That Sabal Looks great! Mine would never make it without protection. Just goes to show how much variation there can be within a species!

Thanks for sharing!
    -Alex

• pj_orlando_z9b
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Alex. I never trust wind measurements with my weather stations cause I'm in a townhouse which causes odd variations in my yard. Where this is located, I wouldn't trust any winds out of the N or NW cause of the location of the weather stations behind the townhouses. If it was on my roof, I'd give it s closer look. We had a wind advisory on Wednesday and while my local airport showed winds at 15 with gusts to 32, I never got above 9 mph...lol. My Weather Channel station did the same thing. Everything else seems really accurate. I got the bracket from wwww.ambientweather.com, which is where I got the weather station from too.

I once left a large cordy in the ground and it came back from the roots the next summer but never died again the following winter (for good). Get a minor 'Hatteras' if you can. They are like McCurtain but I trust them more since they are raised in our wet winters. I'll be in your area next weekend...a weekend in Manhattan. I am a big fan of NYC...what a great city. I worked there for 6 months a few years ago and thought...why don't they plant palms in the city. With all those subway tunnels giving off steam, palms would survive without any problems!

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Im glad Im not the only one who doesnt get accurate wind mesurements!
    I will definitely be looking for a hatteras form next spring! The one I got from Lowes just isnt cold tolerant enough since its the only palm that gets damage WITH protection every winter (even my Butias and livistonias show more resilience!).
    I think Manhattan would be a great place for palms. For example, lots of hotels have sheltered entrances that not only dont get moisture, but are completely blocked from wind. A trachy would do great in a spot like that. And I know that the outside of the Mc Donalds on Broadway sometimes gets warm because of all the lights underneath the overhang. And like you said, the subways give off a ton of heat and even some vents off of buildings will give a ton of heat all year long. There are definitely some great spots for small palms, but for some reason I havent seen any in Manhattan (with the exception of a few survivors at the Central Park Zoo). Everytime I got to Manhattan I always look for places were palms can grow! lol
    I will definitely take a look at that website!
    Thanks!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

You need to put anemometer 100' up for it to register those kind of winds,
    I remember seeing the winds gusting 30-40mph
    at my place but my Wx station said 6mph (-:

Just to many trees and houses etc,for it to compare to an open field/airport.

Click for weather forecast

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    12 years ago

Anemometer height should be 33 feet officially. I too just got a Vantage Vue and LOVE it. Best height for it is 9-10 feet. Mine is spot on with other local stations in my area.

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. I'm going to look for a large pole to increase the height. Right now its at about 7 feet tall, would like to get it to about 15 feet if possible. 33 feet might be a little bit of a challenge though lol! Mine is also almost always spot on with local weather stations. It really is very accurate!
    -Alex

• jimhardy
    12 years ago

I find the direction function more useful than the wind speed here in town(-:

I almost decided to go up on the roof with a long metal pole
    to try and get an accurate reading but if you have ever seen
    the slope of the roof...you would see why I chose to live(-:

Also,I think that it would have made a good lightning rod!

And...if i didn't fall installing it.......

I would surely have bit it replacing the batteries!

Click for weather forecast

• tropicalzone7
    12 years ago

I was thinking of putting mine on the roof too (and mine runs on solar energy which is a big plus), but I have a fear of heights and climbing 30 feet up a ladder sounds way too dangerous for me to ever do!
    -Alex

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio