Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
no_clue

To mist or not to mist that's the question...

No-Clue
11 years ago

So anyone else besides me misting their Plumies' leaves and trunk?

If you do, do you find it helpful or harmful?

If you don't why not?

I just think after a hot day, misting them in the late evening make them look more refreshed... but then again what do I know.

Comments (7)

• Kimberly (6b Indiana)
    11 years ago

Sometimes when it gets really hot out, 95+, I would mist mine (the leaves) after the sun set behind the trees too, so you're not the only one. ;)

• PRO
    the_first_kms2
    11 years ago

I use a shower type hose nozzle and give established plants a shower (well more than misting) at least once or twice a week. Generally in the evenings. I stand back and arc the shower on to the plants like a rain shower. I also use a sprayer up close which can push off dropped flowers, leaves, etc. that get caught on leaves.

I was surprised how much water funnels down the branches and trunk into the pot. It is nearly impossible to over water with fast draining soil and high temperatures so I dont think twice about it.

• elucas101
    11 years ago

Personally I do mist my plumie leaves, and though I don't mist the trunks I don't go out of my way to avoid them, I just don't think they can do anything with the water like the leaves can. I don't know that it makes a visually noticeable difference but it can be a little pick me up when it's not quite time to water, to rinse off the leaves, create a little humidity near them, that kind of thing. I definitely don't think it hurts anything!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Our humidity is rarely below 80%, not much point in misting when the air is already so wet.
    Tally HO!

• TruNorth7
    11 years ago

I mist a twice per week, alternating water and dilute seaweed extract. I use a 1.5 gallon pump sprayer (which saves time and hand cramps!) rather than a spray bottle. I have low humidity, about 20% right now, so it seems to make a difference. I like misting the trunk as well as the leaves.
    I think the appropriateness of misting is determined by your climate; as beachplant mentioned, there's no reason to mist when it is super humid!

Rachel

• No-Clue
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for your replies. I didn't get to mist them last night b/c we got lots of rain! I freaked out and carried all the young ones inside and lined them up like sardines in my family room. The bigger ones were tucked under the overhang and got slightly wet but I think they will be fine. I sure hope so!

• printmaster1 (DFW TX)
    11 years ago

I mist almost daily in our TX 95+ degree weather.
    Alternating between "Thrive" and a liquid fertilizer.
    Even unrooted cuttings seem to enjoy the extra water.
    Lonnie