Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Any luck with edible hanging baskets?

lpinkmountain
12 years ago

Hi, I'm new to the forum, I came over from Landscape Design and have realized that this is the best garden design forum for me because although I am somewhat limited on edibles, my garden is closest to the potager style. I only grow a few veggies due to limited space and shade, but a fair number of herbs and a few is SOME! :)

On my front porch I have mostly shady porchboxes which for years I tried to grow edibles in and just didn't have any luck. This year the boxes look great, I focused mostly on shade flowers with a few herbs tucked in. They are edible (pansies, violas, begonias and impatiens) but really I've tried them and they are not worth eating IMHO. I scored some varigated pineapple mint that I am anxious to give a try.

Meanwhile in the back, where I have tiny patches of sun, I'm trying to make the most of limited, limited space. I was set to do a hanging geranium in a basket hanging outside my kitchen doorway, but I'm wondering if there is anything edible and pretty that I could put in there? The problem is, it gets some sun, but also shade, about an equal amount of shade and sun. Seems too shady for strawberries but I have not tried them in this application. I tried them in the ground and they are too aggresive for my tiny space so I don't know how they do in pots. I have some alpine ones to plant but they are perennial and I'm not sure I want to risk trying to overwinter them in a pot.

No more mint though, I don't even like it that much and I have spearmint, the pineapple and lemon balm. I also have quite a representation of thyme.

Anything worked well for you in hanging baskets? If I don't do edibles, I was thinking ivy geraniums and purple petunias for the scent.

Comments (10)

• natal
    12 years ago

How about thyme in your hanging baskets? Have you tried nasturtiums for edible flowers? Down here they're a cool season plant, but I'm guessing you would grow them in the summer.

Here is a link that might be useful: nasturtiums

• Donna
    12 years ago

I have a little cherry tomato this year called Cello, that a friend gave me. It makes a very tasty orange tomato. It is a very small plant and I bet it would do well in a hanging basket. I would definitely give it the biggest sized pot you could manage, but really, it's loading up with fruit and is no more than 12 to 18 inches high and wide.

In the past, I have grown Spacemaster cucumbers in pots with good success. Their vines are quite short and I think they would do well in a hanging pot too. Again, give them the biggest pot you can manage and don't plant more than one plant per pot so their roots have maximum space.

Also, incorporate slow release plant food into the pots at planting times PLUS liquid fertilizer every two weeks.

Both of these plants will need six hours of sun per day, at least, to produce. Still, what do you have to lose?

• cheleinri
    12 years ago

I think strawberries would be pretty.

• cheleinri
    12 years ago

Oops, just read that it's too shady..that's tougher. If it helps, my potted strawberries are along the east side of the house- so just morning sun. If you have a half sun spot I'd try it. They look very nice in a pot.

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The pot faces south, west and north, but not east, that's where my house is! :) Most of the sun from the west side, where it's blocked the least, so it's afternoon sun.

• ali-b
    12 years ago

If its fairly shady, do a salad bowl with some heat tolerant varieties of lettuces. Throw in some oregano or thyme so it will hang over. They're pretty tough and while less sun will keep them smaller they should still look okay.

• qaszar
    12 years ago

I have been trialling a new hanging basket liner for over 6 years now. But my passion is growing veggies in the baskets. We grow lettuce all kinds, spring onions, mint, rhubarb, parsley is great, little chillies are very pretty, reminds me of Christmas, lots of green leaves with little red chillies, they look like candles. My space is limited, but I have the baskets 4 deep in places and they only get the morning sun about 4 hours. Not enough for tomatoes they tend to grow to stalky, but I still get a few if the possums don't bet me to them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eco Aus Liners

• nancyjane_gardener
    12 years ago

I don't think you're supposed to be selling things on this forum! NT

• arcticiris
    12 years ago

I have strawberries growing in partial sun with petunias and peas--all in a hanging basket. You don't get QUITE as many strawberries, but the season is extended and the leaves are beautiful.

I second the lettuce basket idea. Especially if you can plant in the side of your hanging basket, I've seen some really interesting salad bowl plantings. Toss in a petunia or lobelia for spiller.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Haven't tried it myself, but just read the suggestion to grow creeping thyme, oregano, or prostrate rosemary in a hanging basket in the Reader's Digest book called Short Cuts to Great Gardens: A Practical Guide to Low-Maintenance Gardening.

I do grow creeping lemon thyme & an ornamental oregano in holes of concrete blocks for easy harvesting & edging in raised beds along our gravel driveway (where we have enough sunshine!) I planted them early last spring & they've really taken off. I watered last summer, but don't plan to this summer. I have chives & some sedums in there in a pattern as well. It's lovely & so easy...

There are all sorts of tips in the book I mentioned. It shows how you can remake your garden based on the purposes & number of hours you have available. It shows previous garden, describes family members make up & wishes for the garden, then shows the new garden in drawings.

It makes everything look simple & easy, but you know reality is a bit more complicated. It sure is encouraging to gardening. More nurseries should sell it because it can make a gardener out of anyone.

They have a simple explanation of potagers with suggestions of what to plant where in your 4 squares with an herb garden in center. Obelisks in center of squares for climbing plants & lovely flowers, too!

Would be good for FAQ for this forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: Short Cuts to Great Gardens: A Practical Guide to Low-Maintenance Gardening

Sponsored