Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desertdigger_gw

Best place to buy New Mexico chile seeds?

desertdigger
13 years ago

I'm a NM girl living in Nevada, wanting to buy some seeds for NM chile. Where do you get your seeds? I'm looking for decent variety without outrageous per-packet cost and/or shipping fee.

Comments (8)

• ssimon2000
    13 years ago

I hate to say this (rim-shot response): New Mexico.

Seriously, the Chile Pepper Institute out of NMSU has excellent seed stock, wide varieties, and reasonable prices.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chile Pepper Institute

• rnewste
    13 years ago

Agree with ssimon. Quality product, at a very reasonable price. I just received Conquistador, NuMex Heritage, 6-4, Big Jim, and Joe E. Parker from them.

Raybo

• desertdigger
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much. NMSU is my alma mater, so I'm happy to send some cash their way. I thought they were a tad expensive, but if they're the best, that's ok. 8) Any variety recommendations? (I'm more of a jalapeno, green chile girl, less of a habanero or bhut jolokia girl.)

I purchased some NM varieties from Native Seeds SEARCH last year but didn't have a lot of success (my fault, I'm sure).

I broke into a chile off my Hatch ristra and planted some seeds... they are growing beautifully. Free is nice.

• thenewmidwestchilehead
    13 years ago

desertdigger, I had my first taste of the heritage big jim today, and believe the claims that it has much more flavor than the regular variety. Seemed to pack a decent heat too. The pod I had was fresh and green. I'm still waiting for ripe pods on the heritage #6-4.

If you are wanting fresh green, I would recommend the heritage varieties of the big jim or 6-4. If you want to turn them red and dry them (for chile sauce or powder), I'd recommend the Sandia or Chimayo. And you might try the link below.

Does anyone know when NMSU plans to release the heritage Sandia variety? I had been led to believe it was this year, but haven't seen anything on their website.

Here is a link that might be useful: Midwest Chileheads

• desertdigger
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks! I'll try the varieties you mentioned. I am looking for something both for roasting and for drying.

Getting rid of my tomatoes and okra and just planting peppers everywhere next spring.

• chicagopepper
    13 years ago

I'm doing the same thing, turning to all peppers next year. So far, have seeds and am planning to plant, all in containers:

Hot Cherry
    Serrano
    Early Jalepeno
    Orange Hab
    Hot Banana
    Fresno
    Anaheim
    and a few others...

Would love some Trinidad Scorpion seeds but can't seem to find them (or any other exotics) locally.. I'm going to try Chinatown this weekend - on the lookout for interesting varieties for food and seed. Otherwise, will probably try to pick some up online.

Hope those New Mexico seeds do you right! I have heard great things.

• rnewste
    13 years ago

Here is some Scoville Heat info from NMSU.

{{gwi:1188527}}
    Raybo

• chilemilio
    13 years ago

i know you asked for nm seeds. but i'll throw in my 2 cents.. i also prefer not to pay much for seeds. i've gotten them from nmsu chile institute, and the peppergal.com. she has a huge variety if you feel like trying some random ones.. and they're not so expensive as other sites. btw.. i like the idea of getting rid of your other crops. i tried tomato, eggplant, and chiles last year. this year, its 14 diff chiles on the way. good luck. -h

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville