Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxanna_2008

ID question

roxanna-2008
15 years ago

Hello everyone ! I am new to this forum and a plumeria newbie also ( I posted a message yesterday but I went into the wrong forum site).

I got hooked with plumerias after coming from a Hawaiian vacation 3 months ago. I started with 2 cuttings, then 4 and 1 more coming. Thank God all of my cuttings are growing (claws coming out), 3 have 5-10 leaves already. Thanks for all the information/knowledge I got from all of you here in the forum. I've been reading the threads when I came across this website.

As I'm reading the threads about ID, do all plumerias have specific names/ID ? I have a Yellow, Red, Pink, and White plumerias (from Hawaii), that's what the label says. Does this mean they are generic ? My other 3 (from Thailand) have names like Violet Princess, Penang Peach, Orange Punch. I have no idea about plumeria sp. All I know is they are gorgeous flowers !!! and addicting ...

Comments (5)

• bri_fl
    15 years ago

OK, newbie answering a question from a newbie so correct me if I;m wrong guys. Yes your Hawaiians are NOID's (no i.d.) but still probably beautiful. The Thai are "named" and I've actually heard of Penang Peach. You wouldn't have happened to have been on E-bay have you? : P. Where are u in Fl? Maybe we can suggest some local places for you.
    Welcome to the all consuming "hobby" of Plumeria!

• roxanna-2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi bri fl, thanks for your input. I live in Kissimmee but I have a house in North Lakeland and I stay there on weekends (taking care of lawn & garden).
    Yeah, I bought some of my plumies from e-bay.That would be great if you could tell me the local nursery I could visit.
    Thanks !!

• tdogdad
    15 years ago

Roxanna- what Bri said is correct. Technically a plant should be registered with the Plumeria Society of America or be a cutting from a registered plant to have a genuine, recognized name. One of the problems is that cuttings and seedlings are not the same. Cuttings for the most part are like the plant it comes from whereas seedlings may or may not look like the parent plant. I have 10 white seedlings from a Cindy Moragne that are all slightly different. I also have several that are red, orange and tri-colors. If I called them Cindy Moragnes and sold them as such, people would not get the real deal. Also, some overseas growers have bought cuttings from Hawaii and turn around and give them a new name to enhance sales. For sales purposes, you cannot id a plumeria from a picture alone. The PSA requires a load of data and more than three growing plants to consider recognizing a new name. They are trying to standardize the plants so when you buy or trade, you get what you expected. Still, I have probably twenty plants that were bought from major dealers or growers that turned out to be something else. by the time they flower it is several years later. That is why I buy from people i trust and know. In the plumie world, caveat emptor!!!!! Bill

• bri_fl
    15 years ago

There is a small local nursery called Plumeria Gardens off of School house road on the Southside of Lakeland. They don't have a huge selection but the couple is very knowledgeable and honest. I have a couple from there and they're doing great. And I've never been there but have heard good things abour Exotic plumeria in Seffner, you can look at there stock online.

• roxanna-2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Bill and Bri !!
    Bill, it feels so nice reading your posts, I accumulate tons of knowledge day by day that's why my thumb is going green now.
    Thanks !!! (I will have more questions to follow for sure)