Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sdrawkcab

Pictures with cover letter/resume?

sdrawkcab
15 years ago

I'm looking for some advice on the ettiqute for applying to work part time in the horticultural field.

background info:

I have a good job working an 8-5 m-f type office job in a field completely unrelated to horticulture. My job provides me with steady pay, a company car, full heath benefits, and a good working environment. In spite of all this, I miss working in the horticultural field.

In highschool I was president of my schools Future Farmers of America chapter. I exceled in my agriculture classes and I was awarded the DeKalb Excelence in Agriculture Award in 2003. I went on to college and began a bachelors degree in Ornamental Horticulture. I got 2 years in and had to drop out due to personal reasons. I worked for several years at a local retail nursery doing everything from watering and pruning to landscape design and pest/disease management. I left that to persue a career that could provide a better life for myself and my family (more $, insurance, non-seasonal hours, etc.). In my free time now I act as a horticultural advisor to friends and family. This spring I took the initiative to offer a free class about seed starting at the local library. I have also taught highschool and college level classes on hydroponics theory and design.

My Question:

The store that I am interested in seeking part time evening/weekend employment at specalizes in hydroponics and indoor gardening. It is a small, family-run type place. I would like to include pictures of some of the hydroponic systems I have built over the years with my cover leter because I feel that my first-hand experience with hydroponics is relevent to my employability at this particular business. Is it poor form to include pictures with a cover letter and resume in a situation like this where descriptions of what I've done would be wordy and akward but pictures would be easy to show my expertise i nthis field?

What do you think- Should I include pictures or not?

If it matters, I am not even sure if they are looking for help, I'm taking a shot in the dark by submitting a resume and hoping that once they see my qualifications they will be intereted in hiring me to work nights/weekends.

Comments (2)

• calliope
    15 years ago

I don't see where it would hurt to take a portfolio with you when you drop in to talk to them. I really urge you to try to make personal contact with them and not just shoot them off a letter and resume' or call them on the phone, unless they've made it clear that is the only way to contact them about a job.

I think you would make a really good candidate, but right from the get-go you may be faced with some hurdles, depending on their personal paradigms. I had studied horticulture and then ended up going into a completely unrelated field when I had to relocate. Before that, I was in another completely unrelated profession. Both white collar. To get back in to hort, I had a lot of bias to overcome. By getting to talk to my prospective employer face to face, I could zero in on exactly what he wanted in an employee and concentrate on telling him how I could deliver just that.

I was offered a full time position, at one fourth my previous salary. What I didn't tell him was that I would have PAID him for the chance to work there for the practical experience. This was an entry level position because anything other than that in my area is/was non-existent. I figured I could work my way up if given a chance, at least coming away with a practical education, if not a fat paycheck.

I have my own business now, but I'll never forget the biases I have seen in the industry concerning newbies with education, previous white collar work experience, or age over thirty on entry. You may run into it, you may not. When I hire in seasonally, I don't need someone with my qualifications, and when I get "power" resume's I answer them .....always and try to steer the candidate toward other growers in this part of the state who can use their qualifications.

IOW, you'll know when you get to that point in an interview when (or if) to share, and if you decide to, you'll be ready. I guess I'm just saying delicately that some prospective employers get nervous about people they "think" won't be happy in a job because they (fill in the blanks) have never done it before, are overqualified, are used to higher salaries, are too old at thirty five........or all they need is a minimum wager person. IOW won't even give someone a chance, because they have preconceived notions about what their typical employee should be.

What I look for more than anything is enthusiasm, common sense and good work ethic.

• petzold6596
    15 years ago

Portfolios are usually presented at the interview. Make sure that you highlight the fact that you have made several systems and will happily provide a portfolio upon request.

Upon reading your post, I have two suggestion: 1) proof read your materials at least twice making sure you do so at one day intervals and 2) have someone else proof read it also. Just a minor but annoying thing, numbers less than 100 should be written out and any number at the beginning of sentence is always written out.

Good Luck!!!!

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath