Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alynne68

Shishitos!

alynne68
9 years ago

This was the saddest plant I got this year. Didn't think I would get any fruits. Just moved it because of an impending storm. Look!

Alison

Comments (17)

• Chad5
    9 years ago

That's a beautiful plant, I'm gonna try growing one next season.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Shishitos are very prolific. Mine have lots of smaller pods right now.

• kathy9norcal
    9 years ago

I sauted up a big bowl of them tonight--yum. Very tasty with seasoned sea salt! My older plant is loaded with them but they only get to an inch and a half. My younger plant looks like yours with only a few Shishitos but they are more like 2 inches long.

• cynjrana
    9 years ago

I have 4 of them, I can't keep up with the harvest.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

They also make good pickles like peppeoncinis.

And, they are worthwhile to grow. Asian makets sell them over $6 /lb. Most sweet peppers are sold around $1.50/lb.

• stoneys_fatali
    9 years ago

I'd like to grow these next season. Where can I buy seeds?

Stoney

• seysonn
    9 years ago

Stoney,
    I will hopefully save some seeds/ripe pods. I can send you some then.
    seysonn

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

Just posted on Oriental pepper thread - I was offered some shishito seeds by my sister's Japanese FIL. Are they hot or mild?

Shape looks like some "mystery peppers" that I had in my garden 2011, I saved seeds (though probably crossed with something else since I didn't bag) and am growing them again this year, but mine were 6 inches or longer.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

ajsmama,
    If your peppers were 6" or longer then probably not Shishito.
    Shishitos are similar in size ( 2-4" mostly)and appearance (wrinkly) to pepperoncini, but have no heat. They are used as green, though left a little longer will turn red.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

here is a picture of some pepperoncini, to compare to Shishito pictured above. I am growing both.

• sdambr
    9 years ago

I have a similar pepper plant growing. I bought it at a Korean market. The plant was called twist peppers. They look and taste just like shishitos. Does anyone know if they are the same. I have read they are and they aren't. I am really not sure. they are delicious. Had 2 hot ones out of 15. The rest were sweet. I have let one pepper grow on plant to mature and save seeds. Fully grown about 5 inches.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

sdambr,
    They are shishitos, if they look like the ones in the picture that I posted, above. They are also labeled as Japanese peppers. Sometime as Korean peppers. That is where I got my seeds from. Once I bought a pack, with few turning red. I let them fully ripen on the counter and got the seeds.

• sdambr
    9 years ago

That's what I thought, but at site evergreenseeds they list them separately and the description says twist pepper is hybrid of shishito? That is where the confusion began.

• kentishman
    9 years ago

I thought that Shishito is a hybrid, so will the seeds produce pods that are really Shishito?

• seysonn
    9 years ago

I don't know if shishito is hybrid or not. But I am growing from seeds taken from store bought and they are fruiting the same thing.

• sdambr
    9 years ago

Seyson, peppers look the same. :o)

Here is my plant, labeled twist pepper. Looks just like shishito. I think one and the same. I did not think shishito was a hybrid. But, I don't have the knowledge to say for sure.

• seysonn
    9 years ago

sdambr : It is hard to see any difference in the picture. I will take pics of mine to compare.

Sponsored