Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mocropot

Hello plumeria lovers!!!!!!!

mocropot
17 years ago

Hello! Hello everybody! What a marvelous site! I think you know why I am here: I want to grow plumeria and I want a lot of branches. I am from Ukraine. Now I live in Florida and couple months ago I got 10 seedlings. I do not know what kind but it really does not matter to me because I love it any way. I was browsing this forum and I got a lot of information. Special thank you to Mike and Brittany and all the rest experts. I really hope my dream come true with your help and knowledge. In spite of the fact I got a lot of information here I still have some questions:

My main question is when do I need to use a fertilizer high in Nitrogen and when a high Phosphate fertilizer ? Right now I am using Miracle Grow and it is high in Nitrogen, but I do not know when do I need to change. Please advise me what do I need to do in order to grow this tree with a lot of branches. I do not want to grow leggy plumeria. Thank you a lot in advance,

mocropot

Comments (8)

• dweav
    17 years ago

mocropot, Welcome! You don't want leggy plants. I would cut back on the Nitrogen. And start raising the Phophate. I would drop the Miracle Grow if you are growing them in pot. I would go with a 10-30-10 In a pot you have to watch the salt build up. Super bloom will get you blooms but I would keep it light not only feed that may be once a month or every five weeks are so. I don't used a dry feed I'm a liquid food guy. There is a lot of INFO here on the dry stuff. I like knowing what they are getting and when they get and it just seem that I can control it better but that's just me. I the guy that always walks aginst the flow.
    Having a thick plant has a lot to do with what type it is some just make thicker plant and some are leggy. I have a list some where that list some of them and which ones are better a making a thick plant, also which one makes seed and which one are harder to grow. I'll dig it up and post some of the ones and what they do. If I can most likely it the INFO will be here before I get back there are really nice people here and they are a lot more that knows 10 time more than I could ever know.

Good luck
    Don

• mocropot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks a lot Dan! They are in pots, I want to keep them in pots this winter and put it in the ground next Spring. What brand 10-30-10 are you using? I like liquid food too. Not clear what you said about. Super bloom Should I use it every five weeks? And what about feeding? Should I use 10-30-10 every week and super bloom every five weeks? I wanted to attach a picture, but could not find any instruction and I do not know how to do it. Need to go to work, come back @ night.
    Thank you,
    Helen.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    17 years ago

Hi there Helen! Welcome!
    I posted some info on adding photos to this forum a short while ago under the heading of someone else's thread called 'Spots on trunk' dated Sun Aug 6th. (it was on page 4 as I write) So, if you scroll through the entries till you find that thread, have a look for the 2nd entry by me on how to add your pictures and have a go!
    Don't worry if you get stuck, just ask another question on here and someone will rescue you. Everyone is so very helpful, so good luck! Greenclaws.

• mocropot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you a lot Greenclaws! That is great!!!!!!! Please advice on a fertilizer. What kind do I have to use in order not to get a leggy plumeria.

Thank you,
    Helen.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    17 years ago

Hi again Helen! You did it then?.... I told you so!
    I am afraid I am the wrong person to ask about fertilisers as I am a total novice at this plumie lark! I only have one plant that is 16 mths old , but it is already flowering its little socks off for me! Plus I live in England, and I know we have different brands over here as I have never come across the makes mentioned on this site.
    So here is another tip....at the bottom of the main plumeria forum page, there is a box called 'search', type in 'fertilizers' (or any other subject you need to know about) and lots of threads on that subject will pop up! If you can't then find an answer you need there, then of course, start another thread, and dont be afraid to do so as everyone is helpful I have found. If you can master the art of photo publishing on here, this should be easy peasy for you!!
    Best wishes, Greenclaws.

• mocropot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Greenclaws, Your instruction how to upload pictures was great and easy. Thank you a lot!!!!!!!! What numbers does your fertilizer have? How often are you fertilizing? How many branches does your plant have? Place a picture if you want to.

Helen.

• greenclaws UK, Zone 8a
    17 years ago

Hi Helen, the fertilizer that I use is called ÂPhostrogen so I donÂt know if it is available in the States as I live in the UK. It is made up of 27% nitrogen, 19% phosphorus and 53%potassium plus other nutrients, and I use it once a week, if I can remember that is!
    My plumie was from a cutting that I was sent from Australia in April 2005 following our visit to WA a month earlier. I did have five, but the others all rotted and went soft. Had I known about this useful forum then, I may have been able to save some of them.
    It started life as a one tip cutting and still is, although I have learned from here that they branch after flowering.
    It took until spring of this year to grow leaves and Âhang onto them as several sets of tiny claws grew but shrivelled and dropped off. It now has quite a few big leaves and over 60 buds. It is a ÂCeladineÂ, which is common (I donÂt care!) but very fragrant.
    It usually lives in the greenhouse, but I bought it inside when the first flower opened as the smell was so lovely. I guess it will have to move in with us soon as our autumn is here already and winters can get cold here so I wouldnÂt risk it in the g/h even with the frost heater on.
    Two of our offspring are backpacking round the world and are due back from Hawaii and New York this coming week, so I hope they have remembered my request for a presentÂ..yes, a plumie cutting!
    Did you grow your seedlings from seed yourself, they look healthy, what sort are they?
    Regards, Greenclaws.
    {{gwi:1192984}}
    {{gwi:1180639}}

• mocropot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Greenclaws, it is so beautiful and gorgeous!!!!!!! I can not express myself! I wish to have the same. I got my seedling on e-bay, before I found this forum and had no knowledge of how to grow plumeria I just loved this tree and always wanted to have it. If I would buy it right now I would get cuttings, because it seams to me they are easer to bloom and get branches. Oh, well it is too late I have to deal with it, because I love them any way. Hopefully, if I find a right fertilizer it should be fine.

Helen

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21